Thursday, January 7, 2010

Stick to your guns!

I am having a good week. I have been on-point all week, I've stuck to my goals that I set for 2010, I've done my training for the 5k on Saturday and I'm proud of myself.

I found this information today:

—About 80% of people who make resolutions stop keeping them by mid-February.
—Two-thirds of dieters gain back any lost weight within a year.
—Many people make and break the same resolution year after year.


I want to achieve my goals for 2010 and I want you to achieve yours! I subscribe to the Hungry Girl newsletter and she had some fantastic tips this week to help you achieve your goals and stick to your guns...at least as far as health and wellness goes. This advice isn't going to help me get my credit cards paid off any faster.

1. Don't go "on a diet." While diet plans can be helpful, if you think of yourself as being "on a diet," everything can become too black and white. If you're "on a diet" and suddenly you have a little setback, you may decide you're "off your diet" and go back to your old ways. Think of your new eating plan as more of a lifestyle change -- one that will have ups and downs, with good days and bad.

2. Don't deprive yourself. A food plan shouldn't be about deprivation. It should be about SATISFACTION. Find foods you LOVE -- things that satisfy you but are better choices than the fat-packed alternatives. This is KEY.

3. Drink lots of water. Water is good for you. It's good for your skin and your metabolism. And it helps fill you up. Plus, not getting enough water can make you cranky and more likely to make bad food choices.

4. Listen to your body. It knows things. If eating cereal for breakfast tends to make you hungrier throughout the day, then don't eat cereal in the morning. Pay close attention to your body cues. This will help tremendously.

5. Live one day (or even one MEAL) at a time. Don't be discouraged and beat yourself up if you fall off the wagon and eat badly -- just be aware and make better decisions at your next meal.

6. Get exercise with activities you enjoy. I used to HATE exercising. I feared it. Now I exercise but only do what I like (which happens to be walking on a treadmill five times a week, while watching reality TV, and weight training twice a week with a friend). Find something you actually enjoy doing, and you'll do it. Don't take on an exercise routine that causes pain or discomfort -- you'll just end up ditching it completely. (And I know this isn't an EATING tip, but it's important!)

7. Let yourself cheat a little. Everyone strays once in a while. It's totally normal. Splurge when you need to, and enjoy it. (Don't feel guilty!) Then get RIGHT back on track to prove to yourself that you can handle a cheat meal now and then.

8. Keep track of what you eat. Write it down. As dorky as it sounds, you WILL 100% without a doubt make better choices if you hold yourself accountable for what you eat by keeping a food journal. Just do it -- even if you only write in it every OTHER day.


I wanted to share this with everyone because it's hard to get back on track. I've had a great week, but I've been so tempted just to grab a piece of chocolate or skip a work out. I've also been tempted to shop like a mad woman at the after Christmas sales and work stress has made me quite snappy at the husband. But I take a deep breath and I focus. I remember my goals and I move forward.



This may seem like a rather silly post only being 7 days into the New Year, but I needed a reminder already. I doubt I'm the only one.

How are you doing so far with your goals and resolutions?


4 comments:

Syl on January 7, 2010 at 10:27 AM said...

it's so easy when it's on paper isn't it.
My goals are going pretty well for the first week of January although i had a set back of being sick, i was still able to control my food intake. This year I just want to finish what I started and then maintain it!

Tracy on January 7, 2010 at 10:56 AM said...

Way to go! I have had one slip back but I refused to let one slip go into two and then more.... I just took that it happened, and then determined right at that moment to move forward. It is a change in mindset for me.

Unknown on January 7, 2010 at 11:30 AM said...

great post- those are good HG points! If I say DIET around here I get hungry immediately! lol I also dislike when I meet up with friends and they say, "well you are on a diet..." I also tell them I'm not. I'm on Weight Watchers. To me that is not a diet. I eat burgers, burritos, pizza, and BACON- that is NOT a diet! :)

Anonymous said...

Yay for sticking to goals! :)

Post a Comment

 

Site Info

The Unlikely Success Story is lived, written and maintained by Tonyne.