Monday, January 11, 2010

Meatless Monday - Eggplant Parmesan Sandwich

 

Tonight I knew I would love the Meatless Monday night dinner I prepared. I love Eggplant Parmesan, how could I not love it on a sandwich?! I was so excited, I danced around my kitchen the whole time I was cooking! It was a great work out! :)

041

I used TJ’s Test Kitchen’s recipe for Eggplant rounds as my guide. Here is what I did.

Eggplant Parmesan Sandwich

1 Eggplant sliced into 3/4 inch rounds

1/2 cup egg substitute (I didn’t use this much, just easier for dipping)

1/2 cup plain panko bread crumbs (into which I mixed, Italian seasoning, garlic & onion powders and 2 tbsp reduced fat parmesan cheese)

1/4 cup marinara sauce

1/2 cup reduced Fat Italian Blend cheese

Arnolds Sandwich Thins (light toasted if desired)

033

Preheat oven to 425 degrees, spray baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Dip eggplant slices into egg substitute and then into the Panko mixture and then placing them on the baking sheet. When finished, I topped with a light mist of cooking spray and placed in the oven. I baked for 22 minutes or so, flipping half way through.

034 036

When golden brown remove from the oven. Sprinkle lightly with cheese and place under the broiler until the cheese is all melty. Place round on your sandwich thin, top with 1tbsp of marinara sauce and BOOM! There you go, a yummy, vegetarian sandwich that is crunchy, saucy and cheesy! How can that be wrong?

037 039

One of the best things about these beauties? They are so low cal, you could easily go back for seconds! I had some Butternut Squash Fries on the side.

4 comments:

Unknown on January 11, 2010 at 7:29 PM said...

We love these SO much! When I make them I make a lot and to re-heat them I just put them in the toaster oven and toast them to crispy up again. SO EASY! :) Glad you liked them! :)

Amanda Vittitow on January 11, 2010 at 8:03 PM said...

Wow that looks awesome, and I was also wondering about those fries that look awesome as well. Good job on your meatless monday supper.

Corletta on January 12, 2010 at 10:22 AM said...

Time out...what the heck does it taste like? I want to get excited for something that's healthy!!! My thought of eggplant and the yumminess that you describe are on two different planes right now :)

Arlene on January 12, 2010 at 12:54 PM said...

That looks delicious!

Post a Comment

 

Site Info

The Unlikely Success Story is lived, written and maintained by Tonyne.