Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Baby it's Cold Outside!

The current temperature in my little beach town in North Carolina is 24 degrees. I don't know if you know this or not, but it doesn't get that cold here all that often. Especially not for a week at a time. We are all freezing are bums off. Even the dog.



I have been doing my training runs on the treadmill, mostly because I've been running at night and I think my community has "hit a jogger win some cash" policy, but now I'm stuck in there because of the cold. Here lies the problem though. This is the forecast for Friday/Saturday (my 5k across the high rise bridge across the waterway is Saturday).



I don't own cold weather running gear and I'm not used to running in it. So, this should be a very interesting and cold experience for me. I am still looking forward to it though!

I can't say enough how much I love my Nike+Ipod and how it's made such a huge difference in my running. It showed me my stats for 2009 last night and I think the numbers speak for themselves.



Not too shabby for someone who couldn't run for more than 40 seconds straight a year ago!

If you haven't checked it out already, be sure to check out my post for Meatless Monday this week, the Roasted Veggie Pizza I made was was amazing! (If I do say so myself...) It also helped me have an on-point day yesterday, which was a double bonus. I always love when a recipe works out well and ends up being very tasty and healthy! :)

Anyone have any suggestions for good (affordable!!) cold weather running gear?

4 comments:

Unknown on January 5, 2010 at 10:24 AM said...

bburrr we have been in the 40's and I am freezing! First time in my life I am complaining of being cold! Guess that is one of the negative side affect of weight loss. lol :) Your doggie is SO cute! We can't have a pet where we live right now, but are hoping to move this year and get a little one of our own. :)

Syl on January 5, 2010 at 11:41 AM said...

We've been in the minus 20 degree celcius for the last month and a half, it sucks especially trying to run in the snow and train for a half marathon, but I ran a 5km in a blizzard I can do anything :-)

Continuous Changes on January 5, 2010 at 12:39 PM said...

I just wanted to let you know that you have to be very careful using the Nike+Ipod. I bought one and calibrated it and started running neighborhoods and such. When I went running at the track, it was WAY off. I'd run 4 laps(1 mile) and it would say I ran 1.2 miles or 1.1 miles. I tried recalibrating it, but everytime it would have a wrong reading again. I loved it at first, but now, it is just a piece of junk :(

Your meatless Monday post was awesome :) I can't wait to try it!!

Gina on January 5, 2010 at 2:37 PM said...

Try dressing in running tights with a dry fit shirt and layer with a long sleeve shirt and windbreaker. Wear a hat or headband with gloves...maybe enven a neckwarmer or scarf if its really hard to breath the cold air.

Post a Comment

 

Site Info

The Unlikely Success Story is lived, written and maintained by Tonyne.