Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Tuesday – Real creative title, I know.

 

IMG_1579

First and foremost, last night’s Meatless Monday, Sweet Potato with  Warm Black Bean Salad was phenomenal. I’m not going to repost the recipe, because I pretty much followed it, but I did add some onions, cooked the black bean mixture on the stove top and omitted the cilantro. I served it with some brussels sprouts on the side. Yummy! The sweetness from the sweet potato mixes with the smokiness of the beans and the coolness of the sour cream (I used plain greek yogurt) is just very wonderful. I’ll be making it again and again.

I have been resting my knee since Thursday. It still hurts. It’s getting better, it’s not swollen anymore. I would rather rest for a week than not be able to run again. I was going to gingerly try the elliptical today, but I woke up with quite a bit of pain again. However, instead of the pain being all over the top of my left knee, it’s localized to one spot. It’s becoming manageable, but I’m afraid to push it.

I am trying hard to keep my spirits up. Activity has been such a huge part of my journey for me this time that occasionally I begin to panic that because I’m not being very active, I’m going to gain all the weight back overnight! I know that isn’t the case. I know I still have to be mindful of what I eat. I know there are still exercises I can do, I just have to do them.

I went from the girl that never left to the couch to the girl that can’t just sit on the couch. I never imagined that would happen!

I don’t really have much to update about…since I’ve been kind of resting. I promise that as soon as I have something exciting to share, you’ll be one of the first to know! :)

Some things you might have missed:

I posted a Simple Sunday French Toast recipe on Sunday.

Don’t forget to enter my CSNStores.com $60 gift card giveaway!

Have you had an exercise or activity related injury? How did you keep from going stir crazy? Help a sister out. I’m freaking out here!

8 comments:

Ex Yo-Yo Dieter Debbie on May 11, 2010 at 8:43 AM said...

If you have to sit a lot, whicch it sounds like you do, are there any books you've been meaning to catch up on, that normally you don't want to "just sit and read"?

Are there any possibilities for an upper body workout? You could have killer arms, back, and abs by the time your "rest" is over!

Seth on May 11, 2010 at 10:14 AM said...

When I broke my ankle - I found exercises that I could do that did not affect my ankle. Be creative so that you still are getting a workout in. You don't have to be running (even though it is a fav) to get that workout in. Keep it up.

Question: What is the best way to make brussel sprouts -- they just sound terrible and what I remember of them as a kid - almost makes me want to vomit.

Unknown on May 11, 2010 at 10:31 AM said...

Meatless Monday looked yummy! :)

Sorry your still on couch rest :( I hope you are back up and running soon! I know what it's like to be sidelined- but unfortunately for me it's permanently- so I just had to change what I do.

ThunderThighs on May 11, 2010 at 10:33 AM said...

you can always do muscle reps... anything that doesn't involve your knee... also, try swimming, if you can... that's supposed to be the least harmful when you have an injury... i hope it ges better for you!

Scott from YourInnerSkinny on May 11, 2010 at 10:56 AM said...

I took 12 days off from the gym to rest my shoulder (did some light jogging over those days but I HATE jogging) and I finally got it to the point where I could workout again and I rolled my ankle beyond explanation playing volleyball and haven't been able to run, play any sports or do much of anything for the past 10 days. I'm LOSING my mind! Especially since I have a v'ball tourney this weekend that I put a team into and have to pass off to someone else.

The way to stay sane is to do the little things that you CAN do. I've been doing my kettle bell class but modifying the workouts so I have the least amount of pain possible. Doing cardio machines, like the bike, that don't put any preasure on my ankle. Basically, all the crappy workouts I usually hate and don't do, I've been doing them because it's still doing SOMETHING.

Keep your spirits up and let yourself heal, because if you don't, you'll end up being off longer than you should have been in the first place.

Tracy on May 11, 2010 at 4:47 PM said...

I understand completely what you are saying. I rolled my ankle last week, the one I broke last year, and I was in a state of panic worrying that I might have done something that would put me down and I would get weak and soft and fat all over again, immediately! Don't worry, you are not that woman anymore! you are stronger in so many ways! hang in there.

Roni on May 11, 2010 at 9:20 PM said...

You'll bounce back give yourself time to heal. :)

and that sweet potato dish.. wow! That gives me SO many ideas! Looks delish!

Fit Chick in the City on May 12, 2010 at 7:20 AM said...

I love that you went from the girl who sat on the couch to the girl who can't sit! Love it!

Post a Comment

 

Site Info

The Unlikely Success Story is lived, written and maintained by Tonyne.