Thursday, May 20, 2010

Too Coolash for Goulash!

 

I wanted some serious comfort food this week, little did I know this recipe would make 4 servings, but as I was building it, it kept growing before my very eyes! When I was little, I didn’t care much for Goulash. As an adult, I love it. So, here is my healthified version.

Goulash Coolash (4 servings, 6pts per serving)

Ingredients

1/2 pound uncooked lean ground beef (with 7% fat)   Goulash 005
1 can diced tomatoes, Italian Style
8 oz canned tomato sauce   
1/2 cup onion, chopped  
1 cup frozen mixed vegetables      
1 tsp red pepper flakes 
2 tsp Italian Seasoning
1 clove(, minced  
3 cup(s) cooked whole wheat pasta, Your favorite small style  

Instructions

Brown and break apart ground beef in a large skillet, drain off oil, add onions and allow to cook until softened. Add garlic, tomatoes, tomato sauce, mixed vegetables and chili powder. Allow to simmer for 5-10 minutes.

Mix in cooked pasta. Serve with a sprinkle of parmesan or reduced fat cheddar cheese.

This made me feel like a kid again! So simple and hearty. If you used ground turkey it would bring down the points and/or calories more. However lean ground beef was on sale last week and it’s NEVER on sale, so I indulged. :)

Today is my day off, so I’m going to go enjoy it! And probably eat 1 of the 3 servings of goulash I have left in the fridge. :/

What was a family style (or even lunch room style) dish you hated as a kid but love as an adult? Is there one?

Happy Thursday everyone!

6 comments:

Tish on May 20, 2010 at 9:54 AM said...

That looks good. I'd have to be careful of the leftovers calling out to me. I hated shrimp creole as a child, but it's a fave now.

Unknown on May 20, 2010 at 9:55 AM said...

mmm that looks really good! I grew up eating a lot of those boxed hamburger helper meals- NASTY, but I loved them! lol I was a weird child. Not that long ago I made a beef stroganoff (but I think Id prefer gr.turkey) and it was good- and took me back to my childhood-just like your goulash did! :)

Seth on May 20, 2010 at 12:51 PM said...

I loved goulash as a child, but it was not healthy. This summer, we are going to spend some more time in the kitchen. We are just going to make a cookbook out of your site!

Marisa @Loser for Life on May 20, 2010 at 5:30 PM said...

That sounds really good!

Hmmm... I always remember hating lentil soup growing up. Whenever my Mom would make it, I would hold my nose. I never even tasted it until I was an adult! Now, I love it!

Lindsay on May 20, 2010 at 6:09 PM said...

That looks so yummy!!! I have never had goulash before.

Unknown on May 21, 2010 at 10:00 AM said...

Mashed potatoes & peas!

Post a Comment

 

Site Info

The Unlikely Success Story is lived, written and maintained by Tonyne.