Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Spicy Apricot Chicken and My Love of Sprouts.

 

A little sweet, a little spicy, a lot good.

Spicy Apricot Chicken (5pts per serving, 2 servings)IMG_1584

Ingredients

6 oz uncooked chicken breast, cut into 4 strips  
1/4 cup Panko bread crumbs seasoned with salt, pepper & garlic powder  
1 egg whites
1 Tbsp water 
2 Tbsp apricot preserves  
1 tsp Sriracha Chili Sauce  
1 Tbsp lemon juice, canned or bottled

Instructions

Preheat oven to 425 degrees, coat chicken strips in egg white (mixed with 1tbsp water) and panko. Bake on a baking sheet sprayed lightly with cooking spray for 15-20 minutes, flipping over once.

While chicken bakes, whisk together remaining ingredients.

Pour apricot sauce over chicken strips and serve.

I served it with 1/2 cup brown rice and some steamed asparagus. It tastes a bit like sweet a sour chicken with a zing from the Sriracha! This would be great served with grilled chicken on skewers at cocktail parties, using the apricot sauce as a dipping sauce too! :) I love multi-use ideas! This sauce is so good you could use it on anything. You could even save some calories if you can find sugar free apricot preserves. My grocer didn’t have any. Boo.  Ok, I’ll stop talking about it now. I really like it.

To answer Seth’s question from yesterday my favorite and the easiest way to prepare brussels sprouts is to just steam them with a little water in the microwave (after they’ve been cleaned of course), drain them and season with a little salt and pepper. Of course I love their natural flavor. They are also amazing coasted in a little olive oil and garlic and roasted in a 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes! AMAZING. Here’s the thing, we all hate the baby boom-boom cabbage as a kid, but as adults we like cabbage…guess what? They taste just like cabbage! Try it again as an adult for sure! I tell all my friends that, surprisingly I have a lot of friends scared of the sprouts. I wanted to answer that publically because I have an intense love for baby boom-boom cabbage and I think the world should understand why. Sorry you asked Seth? :)

What is your favorite vegetable and the favorite preparation of it?

Don’t forget! You have until midnight tonight to enter my CSNStores $60 giftcard giveaway!

6 comments:

Marisa @Loser for Life on May 12, 2010 at 7:45 AM said...

That chicken sounds amazing! I am definitely adding it to my "must try" list!

Unknown on May 12, 2010 at 10:57 AM said...

OMG! I want that dinner right now for breakfast! lol :)

Kyra (@KyraTX) on May 12, 2010 at 11:18 AM said...

Looks great. And I LOVE roasting brussel sprouts and asparagus.

Lindsay on May 12, 2010 at 4:19 PM said...

That sounds yummy!! TASTY :)

Tish on May 12, 2010 at 5:00 PM said...

Hey Tonyne , this recipe sounds fabulous. Thanks for sharing.

Seth on May 12, 2010 at 10:15 PM said...

I'm going to definitely try the chicken...and I'll give the brussel sprouts a try too. :)

glad I asked.

Post a Comment

 

Site Info

The Unlikely Success Story is lived, written and maintained by Tonyne.