Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Meatless Monday – My new favorite soup

 

First off, for this recipe, you’ll need a blender. Check out mine, I think it’s older than ME! I inherited it from my Mom and I can’t bring myself to replace it. My Crockpot happens to be from the same era. Vintage rocks, get over it. :)

Food - White Bean and Spinach Soup 001 My blender is more badass than your blender.  

Last night wasn’t cold by any means, but I was craving soup.  I wanted something hearty but light. I have been wanting soup a lot lately, so I took to the kitchen and this is what I made:

White Bean and Spinach Soup with an Italian Twist (4pts per serving, 2 large servings)Food - White Bean and Spinach Soup 007

Ingredients

1 tsp vegetable oil  
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped   
2 garlic cloves, minced  
16 oz (1 can) Cannellini (White Kidney) Beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup canned diced tomato - Italian Style 
7 oz Fat-free vegetable broth  
1/2 tsp black pepper  
1 tsp ground thyme  
1 tsp Italian Seasoning  
1/2 cup water   
2 cups fresh spinach, chopped 
1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice

Instructions

In a large saucepan, heat oil. Cook onion in oil until tender. Add garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds, stirring continuously. Stir in beans, broth, diced tomato, pepper, thyme, Italian seasoning and water. Bring to a boil, reduce and then simmer for 15 minutes.
With slotted spoon, remove 1 cup of the bean mixture from soup and set aside.
In blender at low speed, blend the remaining soup in small batches until smooth.***
Bring blended soup to a boil, stirring occasionally. Stir in spinach, reserved bean mixture and cook 2-3 minutes or until spinach wilts. Stir in lemon juice, remove from heat and serve.

On the side, I served some Baby Crostinis that I made using 1pt hot dog buns! Aren’t they adorable!? I just cut them into the appropriate shape, sprayed them with non-stick spray, used a little Parmesan Herb seasoning and toasted them in a 400 degree oven for about 4 minutes per side. Watch it closely though!

Food - White Bean and Spinach Soup 003 Food - White Bean and Spinach Soup 008

I also added a little bit of red pepper flakes to the soup, but I left that out of the recipe because I know everyone doesn’t like the heat like I do. I can’t tell you how much I love this soup because I would seriously just sound insane, but I LOVE this soup. I am going to make a giant batch of it and freeze it so I can have more than 2 servings. It’s THAT good.

*** I feel it’s important to say, when blending hot liquids in a blender, whistlingALWAYS use a towel to hold the lid of the blender on. Never turn the blender on High right away, pulse slowly and then carefully remove the middle part of the top to let the steam out if the lid wants to come off on you. I in no way shape or form speak from experience here….

Go make this soup. Now. Go. It’s amazing. I promise!

Original inspiration and cooking instructions came from this recipe at AllRecipes.com.

8 comments:

Syl on May 4, 2010 at 8:05 AM said...

oh that looks so good!

Ex Yo-Yo Dieter Debbie on May 4, 2010 at 8:22 AM said...

Looks good! I hear ya on the blender cautionary advice...I have had hot soup explode out of mine more than a few times. Messy AND painful! (In the end, I got a hand-held immersion blender just for that purpose - works well.)

I like your vintage blender. If it works, it works! I may have the matching hand-mixer - I'll kepp using it until it dies (hopefully not catching on fire first)!

Unknown on May 4, 2010 at 9:47 AM said...

My Parents have that blender!!! :) Oh and my Mom has one of the original crock pots too! lol So funny!

Soup looks/sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing! :)

ThunderThighs on May 4, 2010 at 10:02 AM said...

YUMMY! and hey, sometimes those old appliances are better constructed and last way longer than the crappy cheaply made new ones out there!

Anonymous said...

funny story... I definitely have that same blender and catch grief from my boyfriend ALL of the time about it! it works great though! :)

Seth on May 4, 2010 at 1:01 PM said...

I'm digging the blender!

clairerose77 on May 4, 2010 at 2:10 PM said...

Great recipe!!I want to start doing Meatless Mondays because of you:-) cc

Robyn on May 5, 2010 at 9:23 AM said...

I love white beans so I'll definitely have to try this!!

Post a Comment

 

Site Info

The Unlikely Success Story is lived, written and maintained by Tonyne.