Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A random spattering of thoughts

I am all over the place today like the Bubble Bee girl tap dancing in the No Rain video by Blind Melon! I had several ideas for structured posts this morning but instead you are going to get a random spattering of my thoughts. Hold on tight.

I cleaned out my closet after work yesterday. I had been putting it off for the past...year or so. I had all of my "big girl" clothes and was terrified of getting rid of them. What if I gain the weight back? What if I need them? I can't afford to re-buy them again? After a lot of shopping in Greensboro this past weekend, I needed more closet space...that's when it dawned on me. Time to let it go. The clothes served me well, but I will not gain the weight back. Holding onto the clothes in fear was merely enabling me to do so. So, I have 2 trash bags and 2 shopping bags full of clothes to go to Goodwill. Time to live in the now.

I also realized, I need new running shoes! I have over 300 miles on mine. A fact that absolutely thrilled and surprised me. I have ran over 250 miles since May of 2009 and I know I ran at least 50 in the month leading up to that when I got my shoes in March. I have never had to replace shoes in less than a year, but mine have much wear and tear with little holes popping up. I look at them proudly. :)

Last night I made a very yummy Oven Fried Chicken. I found the recipe on FoodNetwork.com, but I fiddled with it a little.



Ingredients

Cooking spray
1/3 cups crispy rice cereal
1/2 cups bagel chips or Melba toasts
3/4 teaspoon hot paprika
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1/4 cups plain fat free yogurt
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
2 chicken breast halves (about 3 ounces each)


Directions
Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F. Set a rack on a foil-lined baking sheet and generously coat the rack with cooking spray.

Finely grind the cereal and bagel chips in a food processor and transfer to a large resealable plastic bag. Add the paprika, 2 teaspoons salt, and pepper to taste and toss.

Whisk yogurt and the mustard in a shallow bowl. Add the chicken and turn to coat, then transfer to the bag; seal and shake to coat. Place the chicken on the rack and mist with cooking spray.

Bake until the chicken is crisp and a thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 160 degrees F, about 22 minutes.

I figured 4 points per 3 oz. breast half.

I paired it with some Zucchini Fries and I made up some dipping sauce for them using 2 Tbsp of the fat free plain yogurt and a few drops of Sriracha Chili Sauce.

It was a comfort food dinner for sure, but it was YUMMY!

This morning, I added more spinach to my smoothie, this time it was banana, mango and soy milk. I love these things! The extra spinach made my smoothie very green and it tasted a little...well, green. I probably need to work on the mix a little, but it wasn't bad.



I was supposed to get out of bed and do yoga this morning but the sleep monster won today, plus I was all cuddled up with the husband and that's something we rarely get to do working such different hours so I decided yoga could wait until tonight.

Hmm, I think that might be all I have for you today. Sorry it's all over the place, but that's where I am today!

For those of you who have lost weight, do you hold onto your bigger clothes for a long time or pack them up as you go down a size?

5 comments:

karen@fitnessjourney on February 3, 2010 at 10:05 AM said...

Hi, stopping by for the first time. That must have been a bit scary giving away those clothes. It was like acknowledging that you weren't going back to that place again. That is a huge step.

Unknown on February 3, 2010 at 10:42 AM said...

I get rid of them...I do wish I had kept like ONE pair of my old jeans...but I have no place to keep anything at our tiny place- so it has to gogogo!

mmm chicken...I want it for breakfast!

Ex Yo-Yo Dieter Debbie on February 3, 2010 at 10:56 AM said...

I think I made a post about the exact same thing a few months ago - the dilemma of what to do with the fat clothes.

At the time, I hadn't lost much weight, just 1 or 2 pants sizes, so I was terrifed on letting my fat clothes go. Shopping for them had been a miserable experience, and I was afraid I would have to repeat it if I gained the weight back. So I filled up a Rubbermaid container and kept it...until yesterday (your post is very timely).

I had been putting a lot of clothes that are too big in the garage on top of that Rubbermaid container. Yesterday, I put it all in garbage bags for donation, except for a couple of pairs of my biggest pants. They will be my reminder of how far I've come and where I am never going back. Everything else goes, and will continue to go, until I reach my goal size range.

My goal-size "happy pants" are waiting in a different Rubbermaid container in the basement!

Continuous Changes on February 3, 2010 at 11:00 AM said...

I am so glad you are taking your old clothes to goodwill!! You don't need them! It's awesome motivation and really will stop you from gaining weight back!

I actually went to my dad's a few months back(as I never fully moved out) and all of my clothes from 30-50 pounds ago amazed me. I looked at them like 'I used to fit SNUG in that and now, it's hanging!' It was an awesome day taking those to goodwill for sure :)

Nikki Bond on February 3, 2010 at 12:49 PM said...

Howdy!

I am going to a post today of random thoughts and I might mention your blog too because you kind of confirmed my idea for a post!

That being said, I feel ya on the sleeping in thing. I was a total lazy bum this morning and reset my alarm for an hour later (thankfully I had nowhere to be!).

That fried chicken looks yummy! I follow a WW recipe I found that has you make fried chicken with crushed up corn cereal and reduced fat buttermilk. I might make it this week and if so I'll post a pic!

Thanks for the comments on my blog!

Post a Comment

 

Site Info

The Unlikely Success Story is lived, written and maintained by Tonyne.