Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Lasagna Babies and New Shoes

Yesterday, my new running shoes arrived! I was more excited than a kid on Christmas morning! I got home, pulled them out of the box. They were so shiny and new. So white it looks like they're glowing on my feet. I quickly grabbed my Nike+ sensor pouch and placed it carefully on the new and sparkly Right Adidas GT-2110 and looked at it. It looked almost too white, too clean, too cushiony (it's a word). I looked at my old friends, my GT-2140s, the first official running shoes I ever bought. I went to Dicks Sporting Goods, had someone look at my feet, pick them out for me and I spent way too much on them. They saw me through my first time running 1 mile, my first 5k, my 2nd 5k and the first 1/3 of training for my first 10k. Together we have ran well over 300 miles. We have ran on pavement, treadmills, dirt and sand. We have ran in Calabash, Little River, Ocean Isle Beach, Sunset Beach and Greensboro.

I feel like I should have them bronzed or give them a Viking Burial at Sea complete with flaming boat. (Was that the Vikings?) Instead, I will retire them as runners and make them my everyday wear type kicks. You were good to me GT-2140s...thanks for the ride, but now the Nike+Ipod Sensor Pouch has been passed.

Food - Shoes and Baby Lasagnas 005 Food - Shoes and Baby Lasagnas 006


This morning me and the 2110s went for our first run. My knees automatically rejoiced at having a cushioned landing again. The sides of my feet need a little readjustment period, they were burning a little by mile 2. They'll get broken in quickly enough.



A little slow this morning...and I'm going to blame the rookie shoes. :)

Last night for dinner, I made Lasagna Babies! They are yummy! Here's the recipe!

Lasagna Babies (adapted from WW Mag Jan/Feb 2010)

1/2 cup diced eggplantFood - Shoes and Baby Lasagnas 011

1 cup fresh spinach

1/4 cup chopped red onion

1/4 tsp salt (divided)

1 cup fat free Ricotta cheese

4 Tbsp grated Parmesan Cheese

1 tsp Italian Seasoning

1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes

1 cup light pasta cause (I use Ragu tomato basil)

3 whole wheat lasagna noodles, halved

1. Boil lasagna noodles in salted water until just soft, drain.

2. While noodles boil, preheat oven to 375 degrees, spray 2 5” rectangle mini loaf pans with non-stick cooking spray.

3. Mix spinach, eggplant and onion. Microwave for 2 minutes, stirring once until veggies are fork tender. Drain any water and sprinkle with 1/8 tsp salt.

4. Mix ricotta, 3 tbsp of Parmesan and Italian seasoning in a bowl. Mix pasta sauce, red pepper flakes and 1/8 of a teaspoon salt in a separate bowl. When noodles are ready, layer 2 tbsp sauce in the bottom of each pan, then 1/2 a noodle, then 1/2 the veggies, 1/2 a noodle, half of the ricotta mixture, 2 tbsp sauce, 1/2 a noodle then top with remaining sauce and 1/2 tbsp of Parmesan cheese each.

5. Cover each pan with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 10-15 minutes until bubbling.

Food - Shoes and Baby Lasagnas 007 Food - Shoes and Baby Lasagnas 008 Food - Shoes and Baby Lasagnas 010

Per the magazine (and I made no changes the should affect points value) each Lasagna Baby is 7 points.



So based on the comments I got yesterday it seems a lot of us are Type A personality control freaks! I'm so glad I'm not alone! I think in the future I need to work on that a little bit.

Learn to live more in the moment...let me just add that to my To-Do list in the Panic Book...

Happy Thursday! :)

5 comments:

Unknown on February 18, 2010 at 10:30 AM said...

I like how you feel bad for the old shoes...I do the same thing. lol Yum to lasagna! :)

Robyn on February 18, 2010 at 10:36 AM said...

That looks delish!! How many servings is the recipe?

Corletta on February 18, 2010 at 11:51 AM said...

You are too funny! About the running shoes, I too wanted to bronze my marathon training shoes. It was like I was packing away a part of me when I laid the things to rest. By did they need rest. Glad to hear that you love you new ones!!!

Dana on February 18, 2010 at 6:05 PM said...

wow, that sound delish. gonna try to make those tomorrow night!

Tracy on February 18, 2010 at 9:26 PM said...

I feel about my rainbow sandals, like you do about your running shoes!

Post a Comment

 

Site Info

The Unlikely Success Story is lived, written and maintained by Tonyne.