Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Quinoa Cheeses Up Real Nice Ya'll!

Good Morning World! I had a great run this morning and I'm filled with energy! I think it's due in large part to my new Zombieland Inspired Playlist. "The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties." If you haven't seen the movie, I recommend it...but only if you like cheesy movies.



My run stats:



My knees are a little sore, but not terrible. I'm almost thinking that 30 Day Shred is causing my knee pain. They almost seem to hurt worse on the days after I do 30DS. I will have to monitor that for a bit.

Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday and thus begins the first day of Lent. I speak like I know what I'm talking about, but I really don't. I'm not very religious per say. However, I like the idea of giving something up for 40 days. It's a practice in self control. I have no idea what I would give up...would I want to give up a food item? A behavior? I'm sure my husband would love for me to give up nagging! 40 Days is a long time and I have a girls weekend trip to Savannah in the mix, so I'd have to be careful not to sabotage myself. I think it's worth thinking about. I have until tomorrow to figure something out, if I'm actually going to do it. What would/are you give up for Lent?

I wanted to play with last night’s dinner a little bit. I had a bag of Gorton’s Frozen Grilled Shrimp in my freezer, some Quinoa, cheese and butter. I figured I could make a pretty good substitute for traditional Shrimp and Grits…a southern specialty. I found out, that Quinoa, well, it “cheeses up real nice ya’ll!”

Food - Shrimp and Quinoa 001 Food - Shrimp and Quinoa 002 Food - Shrimp and Quinoa 003

I cooked the shrimp and quinoa per instructions, once Quinoa was finished I added 2 tbsp of the mexican cheese blend, 1 wedge of Laughing Cow, 1/2 tbsp minced garlic, 1 tbsp Brumel and Brown and mixed. I placed 1/2 of a cup (1 serving per box) on my plate and topped with 1/2 of the shrimp, squeezed a little lemon juice on top and Viola! Shrimp and Quinoa in a flash!

Food - Shrimp and Quinoa 007

It’s very tasty and definitely comfort food. The Gorton’s Shrimp has a smokey taste that I don’t love…I will use plain frozen or fresh shrimp from now on. This was a quick meal and took about 20 minutes to make. I placed my asparagus on the baking sheet with my shrimp and they cooked up fine! You’ll see a lot of asparagus the next few days…it was on sale! :)



Don't forget to let me know what you would/are giving up for Lent. I'm really curious! Happy Tuesday! Let's make it a great day!! :)

6 comments:

Dana on February 16, 2010 at 10:12 AM said...

haha i love zombieland. good idea for a playlist!

Unknown on February 16, 2010 at 10:31 AM said...

I love the idea to cheese up the quinoa! Your a smart cookie! lol :) I make a sauce for pasta with those laughing cow wedges- so why not add them to other stuff! :) Oh and I love that brumel & brown yogurt butter! Tastes good! :) Thanks for this meal idea! I would enjoy it!

Stephanie on February 16, 2010 at 12:02 PM said...

I love the combination of songs on your playlist. It really runs the gamut!
BODA lose weight

Tracy on February 16, 2010 at 8:24 PM said...

Morgan is having issues with her knees and pain too while on the 30 Day Shred, maybe from the same thing.

Previously Plump... in progress on February 16, 2010 at 9:22 PM said...

ouuuu, I never even thought about mixing Quinoa and cheese.... I love love love that idea. I'm trying it for sure :)

hmmm, Lent.... can't say I'm giving anything up.... boo, I know. I do like the idea of giving something up though....

Wicked awesome run :) I'm looking forward to the day I can do 3 miles in 30 min - it's my goal by may to do 6 miles in 1 hour....

Kristen @ Change of Pace on February 16, 2010 at 9:54 PM said...

Those shrimp look incredible! Too bad you didn't like them :(

Awesome job on your run... I'd be embarassed to post my playlist on my blog haha! It might include some Britney Spears and Nsync :)

Post a Comment

 

Site Info

The Unlikely Success Story is lived, written and maintained by Tonyne.