Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Meatless Monday and a Letter


Let me start with Meatless Monday.

Bell Pepper & Tomato Soup

With my changes


1 tsp olive oil
1 medium garlic clove, minced
1/4 medium onion, diced
6 baby carrots, chopped
1/2 tbsp Italian Seasoning
1/4 tbsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
3/4 medium sweet red pepper, charred under the broiler and the skin peeled off*
3 3/4 oz fat free vegetable broth
5 oz canned crushed tomatoes
1 tsp table salt
1/2 tsp black pepper


Instructions
In a large pot, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add garlic, stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add onion and carrot. Cook until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.

Add Italian seasoning and Red Pepper Flakes, cook, stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add peppers. Cook until begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Note: You do not need to cook peppers if they are charred and peeled.

Add broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Cover; simmer for 25 minutes. Stir in salt, pepper, half-and-half and sugar. Purée in small batches; briefly reheat, if needed. Yields 1 cup per serving. Makes 2 servings.

* Place peppers skin-side up on a foiled-lined baking sheet. Broil until blackened, about 15 minutes. Place in a zip-close plastic bag for 10 minutes. Remove charred peels with hands.

The grilled cheese, I just used Sandwich Thins and Reduced fat Provolone with a little Brumel and Brown.

It was...ok. I don't know if it's because I left the cream out (I only made it for 2 and it would have been like 1/4 of a Tbsp, why bother!) but it tasted almost more like a sauce. It would probably be really good on chicken or pasta! I am eating it today for lunch regardless though. It has great flavor just a weird consistency for me.

Next order of business. I would like to write a letter.

Dear TOM, Aunt Flo, and other aliases,

We have been together for a long time. I thought we had each other figured out. I know I'm getting up in my years, I'll be 30 next month after all, but is this really necessary? I know you're there, I don't need you to remind me with intense cramping and an insatiable need for junk food. I definitely didn't need you slowing me down on my run this morning, making my legs feel like lead and making me feel unrealistically exhausted even after I gave you 8 hours of peaceful sleep.

Regardless of your petty and immature ways to try and win my affection all the while reminding me that the biological clock is ticking (real smooth by the way), I still got up and ran this morning. That's right, 3 miles. They might not have been very fast miles, but I finished in 32 minutes and I will take that as a victory over you. After all, I couldn't let you win again after last night, the doughnuts, chex mix and M&Ms you convinced me to eat after dinner...now could I?

Now, let's get through the rest of the week without any more incidents and maybe I will let you have a cup of Sugar Free Chocolate Pudding...how's that sound?

Thanks for listening,

Tonyne's Uterus

4 comments:

Cole Walter Mellon on February 23, 2010 at 9:40 AM said...

Y'know, a study in Scotland showed that the kind of "male face" a woman finds attractive can differ depending on where a woman is in her menstrual cycle.

For instance, if she is post-menstrual she may be attracted to plain facial features.When pre-menstrual she can be attracted to more feminine features in a man.

If she is ovulating she is attracted to men with rugged, masculine features, and if she is menstruating she is more prone to be attracted to a man with a pair of scissors shoved in his temple.

Unknown on February 23, 2010 at 7:38 PM said...

LOL loved the letter and the chocolate pudding bribe! Even better was Jack's comment...I bet he Googles a lot huh? lol

Nikki Bond on February 23, 2010 at 9:19 PM said...

You tell Aunt Flo! Put her in her place! LOL

Previously Plump... in progress on February 24, 2010 at 10:28 AM said...

It's really not fair that not only do we have to go through a monthly occurance of aunt flow, but we alos lose weight slower then men....

Totally. Not. Fair.

Post a Comment

 

Site Info

The Unlikely Success Story is lived, written and maintained by Tonyne.