Monday, April 19, 2010

What's up next?

If you missed my Lighthouse 10k Recap on Saturday, please go check it out. It was an awesome race and I had a good time! However, I am already ready for another race. Is that normal? :)

Due to my work schedule it's going to be very hard to participate in races until the fall. I have to work Saturdays. It's not an option from this point forward. However, I found two races within an hour's drive on Sundays in May. One is The Bellamy Mansion Race for History and the other is a Mother's Day 5k & Fun Run. Both are in Wilmington, NC and are on 5/2 and 5/9 respectively. I really want to do the Bellamy Mansion run. It sounds awesome. It's through historic Wilmington and you get to tour the grounds of the Mansion after the run. However, the 2nd is the day after a party my friend Kelly is having, so I'll have to weigh my options. I am going to do one of them though, that much I know.



Anyone local or nearby to Wilmington interested in coming out and doing one with me? You don't have to run, you can walk! Races are so much fun and these are only $20'ish and both are going to good causes. Let me know if you're interested!

In other race news, my good friend Heather (who I met through the wonderful blogging world) has finally gotten me to commit to running my first Half Marathon. I am excited and terrified. We chose the Myrtle Beach Mini Marathon and it's the inaugural year.
I like to train using Jeff Galloway's training programs, so this would mean my training will begin on June 27th. I just keep thinking to myself "You ran 7 miles once...just do that almost twice." Yeah. I'm having confidence issues, but I'll get past them and I have plenty of time to train!

When I start to think that maybe I can't do something...this is what I'm going to think of from here on out. At the end of the Lighthouse 10k, we were getting ready to leave and my Mom says "Oh no, someone fell!" We look over and about 100 yards from the finish line an elderly gentleman had taken a tumble where the road turned from pavement to gravel. He kept trying to get up and they kept making him lay down. You could tell he just wanted to finish the race. I heard through the crowd that he was having chest pains. The ambulance and medics finally showed up and the man tried to get up again. The medic, with a reluctant look on his face, helped him up. They walked over the finish line together, the man answering the medics questions for his paperwork before his ride to the hospital. I cheered and cheered for him as he finished. It brought tears to my eyes. You can always finish. Just don't take no for an answer.

My meal plan for the week!

Meatless Monday - Black Bean & Cheese Quesadillas
Tuesday - Chicken Salad Sandwich
Wednesday - Herb Parmesan Crusted Talapia
Thursday - Turkey Meatloaf with a Honey Mustard Glaze
Friday - Whatever's Left in the Fridge thrown together to make something yummy.

This will be a difficult week. My eating wasn't great over the weekend. I indulged in my cravings (in moderation, but I still indulged) with my Mom and I have to attend a conference for work on Tuesday and Wednesday. I an very type A and tend to panic a bit when my schedule isn't just so. Yes, I know this about myself and yes this is something I'm trying to work on.

I think I've yammered on enough for today. I hope you all had fantastic weekends! :)

3 comments:

Tracy on April 19, 2010 at 11:24 AM said...

I will come cheer you on, not ready to do one myself, but maybe we can make it a goal next year.

Fit Chick in the City on April 19, 2010 at 3:18 PM said...

Yay, you found another race!

Running Diva Mom on April 22, 2010 at 9:46 PM said...

just found you through seth's blog. Looking forward to following your journey!

Post a Comment

 

Site Info

The Unlikely Success Story is lived, written and maintained by Tonyne.