Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Meatless Monday – Sloppy Fauxs

 

Scheduled for Meatless Monday this week was a very yummy sounding Vegetarian Burrito Casserole that I was looking forward to making. I found the original recipe, had it “healthified” and everything. Monday rolled around, I have been really bothered by the pollen this year and when I got home I just felt terrible and the last thing I felt like making was that burrito casserole. Sometimes with meal planning, this happens.

seasonalallergieswithchild

I looked in my cupboards to see what I had on hand. I found some Sloppy Joe seasoning mix and I thought about being a kid and having a big old messy sloppy joe dripping down to my elbows. I thought “What the heck!” So I decided to make a vegetarian sloppy joe, except I’ll call it, Sloppy Faux. Here it is:

Sloppy Faux (4 points per serving)

IngredientsSloppy Faux 002

  • 1 cup(s) meatless soy crumbles   
    1 cup(s) zucchini, chopped
  • 1/4 cup(s) red onion(s), finely chopped    
    3/4 cup(s) canned tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup(s) tomato(es), chopped   
  • 2 tsp French's Sloppy Joe Seasoning   
  • 2 slice(s) Nature's Own Light Honeywheat Bread, toasted   
  • 1/4 cup(s) Kraft Cracker Barrel Shredded 2% milk reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese   

Instructions

Sauté zucchini and onion in pan and sauté until soft. Add soy crumbles, tomato sauce, chopped tomato and sloppy joe seasoning. Cook until done.
Place 1/2 of the mixture of on each piece of toast. Sprinkle each with 1/2 of the cheese and place under broiler under cheese is melty.

I served mine with some Butternut Squash Fries. I no longer enjoy food getting all over me when I eat it, so I’ve long since ate my Sloppy Joes (and now Fauxs) open faced with a knife and fork. Comfort food at it’s best which I took right to the front of the TV and settled in for the night.

Sloppy Faux 005

Unfortunately, I didn’t get my Yoga done. Sometimes you just have to listen to your body. I was sound asleep by 10:30pm.

I’m off to run! Only 4 more days until my 10k, Yikes! :)

Are you bothered by pollen? This is my first year with any allergy problems…any advice? It’s awful!

4 comments:

William Hanson on April 13, 2010 at 7:45 AM said...

I have so many allergies (including pollen), it's crazy. In the spring time, I'm on the over the counter allergy meds pretty much every day. Oh well, what can you do???

Good work going for a healthy dinner last night. Well played. I find that it's often very easy to choose something that's not the best for you as making a healthy dinner sometimes takes a little more effort. So good work.

Oh... and congrats on all your weight loss success. Your before and after pics look great.

Unknown on April 13, 2010 at 10:40 AM said...

mmmm that is making me drool! :) Hope you feel better- maybe get some medication?? Im not a sufferer, but everyone around me is. :(

Syl on April 13, 2010 at 2:20 PM said...

your dinner looks so good, I love cooking on a wim and trying new things!
You are going to do great on your 10k can't wait for the recap!

Previously Plump... in progress on April 13, 2010 at 8:32 PM said...

OMG, that dinner looks FANTASTIC. I am DROOLING. Oh, what I would give to eat that right now, yum yum yum....

Post a Comment

 

Site Info

The Unlikely Success Story is lived, written and maintained by Tonyne.