Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Meatless Monday – BBQ Quron Pita Pizza

 

BBQ Quron Pizza 001

Are you wondering what Quron is? I was too when I first saw it. The grocery store where I shop put their entire stock on sale really cheap. This only really worried me more, but at 1 WW Point per cup, I wanted to give it a try. In case I really liked it, I bought 3 bags. It has been sitting in my freezer ever since. I know it was a huge leap of faith! I didn’t know what to do with it and I still didn’t know what it was, so I went to their website for information. It was there that I found out the following information about Quron:

Quorn is comprised of Mycoprotein. A fungus. Great.

Mycoprotein is a fungus which contains high-quality protein, enabling us to offer an alternative, purely vegetarian source of protein to meat. It is high quality because it has all 9 essential amino acids.

Now, that sounds like a lot of pros for a fungus. So I decided to give it a try. I love BBQ Chicken Pizza and I figured that enough BBQ Sauce can drown the taste of anything. So here’s my recipe for Meatless Monday…I give you:

BBQ Quron Pita PizzaBBQ Quron Pizza 007

POINTS® Value:    6
Servings:  1

Ingredients

1 loaf/loaves Whole Wheat Pita Bread

1 cup(s) Quorn Tenders

4 slice(s) onion(s), cut in half

4 Tbsp barbecue sauce   

1 Tbsp vinegar   

1 clove(s) garlic clove(s), minced   

2 Tbsp Sargento Reduced-fat shredded Italian Blend cheese   

Instructions

Toast Pita loaf in a 400 degree oven until just crispy.

While pita bakes, sauté Quorn Tenders and onion in a non-stick pan sprayed with cooking spray until cooked through.

Combine BBQ Sauce, vinegar and garlic, set aside.

BBQ Quron Pizza 005 BBQ Quron Pizza 003 BBQ Quron Pizza 006

When the Quron mixture is done, add half of the BBQ sauce mixture and stir to coat.

Remove pita loaf from oven, top with remaining BBQ Sauce, then Quron mixture. Top with cheese and bake at 400 degrees until cheese is melted.

I paired it with a side salad and this made for a…FANTASTIC meal. The Quorn, to me, is textured and tastes VERY similar to chicken. I much prefer this to Tofu. My stocking up at the grocery store will be well worth it! I can’t wait to play some more with this stuff.

Since I started Meatless Mondays, I eat more meatless meals during the whole week. I generally eat between 3-4 vegetarian dinners (which turn into lunch leftovers the next day) a week! Am I giving up meat completely? No. I have no intention to do so at this time, but I did want to cut some of it out and I’m not having any trouble. I really enjoy trying new recipes and foods. There are so many fantastic meatless options! I really urge all of you to do at least 1 meatless night a week, just try it for 1 month. I promise, you won’t miss the meat! :)

Ok, now that I shared a recipe, it’s time to go run! I can’t believe my 10k is in less than 2 weeks! 2 days up at 5am…I think I’m getting my mojo back!

Did anyone see the Butler/Duke game last night? I’m a UNC fan through and through, always have been, so I was sad to see Duke win, but WOW that was some game! Butler played so well! 

4 comments:

Unknown on April 6, 2010 at 10:59 AM said...

humm you are WAY braver than me....lol I think I would have thrown it out. haha

your pizza looks good though!!!

Stefij on April 7, 2010 at 7:15 PM said...

mmm that sounds really nice.

i'm a big fan of quorn mince i use it in bolognase and cottage pies a lot and the chicken peices are good in curries as well

good luck x

Syl on April 8, 2010 at 9:04 AM said...

sounds interesting! I too fear new foods! In fact I keep buying avacado and it keeps going bad :-)

Ally on April 11, 2010 at 2:05 AM said...

looks so good! i love soy meat products :)


Visit me at FourthGradeNothing.com

Post a Comment

 

Site Info

The Unlikely Success Story is lived, written and maintained by Tonyne.