Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Meatless Monday – Lemon Veggie Orzo

 

This is a very light, quick and easy dish. It will be a perfect dish to carry you through Spring and Summer and would be great for entertaining! I give you…

Lemon Veggie Orzo (4 pts per serving, 2 servings)

Ingredients Lemon Orzo 004

1/2 cup uncooked orzo  
1/2 cup zucchini, chopped  
1/2 cup asparagus, chopped   
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped  
1/2 cup tomato, chopped  
1 tsp olive oil  
2 Tbsp reduced fat parmesan cheese  
2 Tbsp lemon juice, canned or bottled  
1 clove garlic minced  
7 oz vegetable broth


Instructions

Heat oil and some non-stick cooking spray in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in orzo and allow to brown while stirring for 2 minutes.

Add all other ingredients (except cheese) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and allow to simmer until orzo absorbs all the liquid.

Serve topped with 1 tbsp of parmesan cheese.

Lemon Orzo 002 I had 1 cup of Campbell’s Garden Broccoli Boxed Soup on the side. It’s not too bad for store bought soup and only 1 weight watcher point per serving.

Toasting the orzo before hand gives it a wonderful nutty flavor. The vegetables stay crisp too with tons of flavor from the lemon juice and garlic. I could easily eat 2 servings of this if I didn’t have the soup on the side!

I realized that I forgot to post my meal plan for the week! Sorry about that, obviously, this was Monday’s meal…

Tuesday: Spaghetti with Turkey Sausage

Wednesday: Mexican Kiwi Tostadas

Thursday: Herb Parmesan Tilapia

Friday: My friend Kelly’s Buckets & Buckets birthday party on the beach…buckets of chicken and buckets of daiquiris.

I am still trying to make a decision about the 2 Sunday 5ks this month. I would really like to do the one on Sunday, but I’m not sure it’s realistic with my current weekend plans and the one on Mother’s day doesn’t really interest me to participate in. So, we’ll see what happens there. It might be one of those “morning of” registrations. Surprise, I just ran a 5k! Booyah!

Yesterday I had a great workout. I did 22 minutes on the Elliptical, 25 minutes of total body weight training and 10 minutes on the stationary bike. It was nice to have a focused workout that didn’t involve running…but, this morning, I run. And, I’m off! :)

5 comments:

Robyn on April 27, 2010 at 10:27 AM said...

That recipe looks yummy as always!

FL MOM said...

giving this to Jack to make he has become the chef in the house.

Jody said...

You should consider substituting farm raised catfish for Tilapia on Thursday (unless you've already purchased, then do it next time you buy). I totally bought into the episode of Good Eats "Catfish Will Rise Again!", which praised the healthy and sustainable nature of Farm Raised Catfish (in the US). Tilapia, on the other hand, is heavy on Omega-6 (not the desired Omega-3). Although both are probably better than the pork chop I'm eating tonight. :)

Jody said...

I meant to say of the two, catfish is healthier. Obviously, Salmon, Tuna, or similar more expensive fish are even more healthy.

Lindsay on April 27, 2010 at 10:41 PM said...

Love the V8 soups!!! They are one of my favs! The Orzo looks yummy I'll have to try it out.

Post a Comment

 

Site Info

The Unlikely Success Story is lived, written and maintained by Tonyne.