Saturday, April 17, 2010

Lighthouse 10k Race Recap

 

The morning started out with my usual pre-run breakfast. Coffee and toast with jam. I packed a Luna Lemon Zest bar to eat about an hour before the race on the car ride to Oak Island.

Lighthouse 10k 001

When we got there, the wind was KICKIN’! It was kinda cool out too. I guess that made me channel my inner Brett Michaels. TIP: Don’t put your bib on in the car, it will be crooked.

Lighthouse 10k 002

It was a point to point race, so we loaded up on trolleys to go to the finish line. I rode over with my friend Kelly who did the 5k.

Lighthouse 10k 005

The first mile was over the Oak Island Bridge. It was a slight incline, but nothing like the Ocean Isle Beach Bridge which I crossed twice during the OIB Run for Food in January. The view from the bridge is amazing. I realized I was doing pretty well coming down the other side of the bridge and was holding steady within a 9 minute mile until about mile 2.

We wound and wound through some neighborhoods and by the first water stop I was starting to feel a little tired. The water and a good song on the Ipod got me moving again. It was right about this point where we round a curve and saw ocean. It was a beautiful day and the wind had either slowed to a cool breeze or just felt great at that point. I continued to look to my right and at the ocean whenever I felt the urge to slow down or stop. It kept me distracted for awhile.

Around mile 3, we were at the 5k’ers starting point. This is where I really started to struggle. I walked for a bit, but never for long and just kept trucking.

Right at 4.5 miles, I felt it. Someone had set my legs in concrete and then set them in a Jell-O mold. That’s the only way to explain it. I felt like I weighed 1,000lbs. I ran as much as I could, but walked fast when I needed to. The sun was directly in my face and I was covered in sand.

When I saw the 5 mile marker, I knew it was the home stretch and this helped me push forward. I finished in 66 minutes and 41 seconds. I couldn’t have been happier or more exhausted crossing that finish line!

Lighthouse 10k 018 Lighthouse 10k 019

I am so proud of myself. The goal I had in my head, that I never expected to achieve, was 66 minutes. I will totally take 66:41 as a BIG WIN for me!

My friends Kelly and Jen ran their 5ks and both did VERY well! Jen even placed 3rd in her age group! I am so proud of both of them!

Lighthouse 10k 022

I don’t know how so many runners have such beautiful pictures after or even before races. I always look like a hot mess! However, I am proud of that messy hair and that sweat! I earned it!

With my first 10k now complete, and my work schedule not really allowing me to run any more races until the fall, I am already itching to do another one. It’s going to be a LONG summer!

Here is my playlist, although honestly, I know music was on while I was running…but I don’t really remember listening to it. I was just focused on every step.

Lighthouse 10k playlist 

I think it’s time to go nap by the pool! See y’all later! Go run! :)

7 comments:

Syl on April 17, 2010 at 1:26 PM said...

I definately need to get eye of the tiger on my ipod and FAST :-) thanks for the reminder!

Great job girl, and congrats on a great run and just pushing through to the finish line, you have alot to be proud of!

Fit Chick in the City on April 17, 2010 at 5:15 PM said...

Congrats!!! You did an awesome job!

Tracy on April 17, 2010 at 5:31 PM said...

This is so great! You are awesome! so proud of you!

Ex Yo-Yo Dieter Debbie on April 17, 2010 at 10:27 PM said...

Great job on your run!

I picked up the latest copy of "Self" since coming back to the States, and I was so happy to see you in there - very exciting!

Unknown on April 17, 2010 at 11:59 PM said...

You are a ROCK STAR! WOW! Congrats! :)

Previously Plump... in progress on April 18, 2010 at 8:46 PM said...

WAHOO! that's an awesome awesome time - you're such a motivation! I have a 10 km 4 weeks... when I feel tired, I'm just going to think about every step and put my all into it :)

Seth on April 18, 2010 at 11:36 PM said...

Awesome job! I love the illustrations with the cement and jello -- very descriptive. 66 minutes! :) Keep it up!

Post a Comment

 

Site Info

The Unlikely Success Story is lived, written and maintained by Tonyne.