Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Snap, Crackle, Pop, Ouch!

On Sunday I started to notice that my knees were hurting whenever I would stand up, sit down, squat down or go up and down stairs. Standing, sitting and walking felt fine, but the transition was painful. Yesterday, I woke up and did 30 Day Shred Level 2, pushed through the pain and then it was so painful that stairs almost brought me to tears. I spent a good chunk of last night like this



and practicing the RICE method. Rest, ice, compression, elevation. Today my knees feel significantly better, but just to be safe I decided to skip my run for today. I would rather miss one run than a week of runs because I pushed myself.

It's time for new shoes and I think that might be the culprit. I have well over 300 miles on my Asics. I think that a trip to the store for new shoes will be on the agenda for this coming weekend. Maybe that will help to alleviate some of the snap, crackle, popping my knees have been doing lately too!

For lunch today I brought the leftover Broccoli & Ginger Stir-Fry from Meatless Monday last night. It just wasn't my favorite Meatless Monday so far. Tonight I am making crispy Italian chicken with roasted tomatoes with a side of red potatoes and green beans. I'm way more excited about that! God I love food.

Speaking of food, I think I have perfected my favorite breakfast smoothie! Here it is:

Blueberry, Banana, Spinach Smoothie

1/2 frozen banana
1/4 cup frozen blueberries
3/4 cup fresh spinach leaves
1 cup Light Vanilla Soy Milk
1 scoop of Chocolate Whey Protein Powder (I use the Biggest Loser kind, 0 points per serving)
3 ice cubes

Place the first 4 ingredients in your blender carafe the night before and allow to sit in the fridge overnight. (This allows the banana and blueberries to thaw a little and makes the process in the morning much quicker!)

In the morning, add protein powder and ice cubes, blend until smooth.

It's fantastic and tastes like a chocolate banana blueberry chocolate milkshake! I have officially gotten hooked on smoothies. It also works great with frozen mixed berries.

I am really bummed not to be running today, but I know it's for the best. I don't have health insurance so a doctor visit will only be a last resort.

How do you deal with injuries or strange pain? When do you think it's time to call in the doctor?

5 comments:

Unknown on February 9, 2010 at 10:29 AM said...

OUCH! Good job taking care of yourself- and skipping the run today to rest up! I love Green smoothies- but only when the weather is warmer. lol :) I need to find the biggest loser protein powder- I bought some from the health food store and I feel ripped off. lol Its also 1 point for 1 scoop. :(

Trudy on February 9, 2010 at 12:37 PM said...

ouch! Take care of yourself.

Syl on February 9, 2010 at 1:49 PM said...

Ouch to injuries...YIPEE to new shoes :-)

Hope your feeling better soon!

Unknown on February 9, 2010 at 6:33 PM said...

Ouch!!! Watch the knees and how your activity affects them closely....better to go to the Dr. and get a real and good diagnosis than to overdo and cause an injury that you may not be able to overcome.....

Knees can be fragile.....

Tracy on February 9, 2010 at 8:55 PM said...

after 4 knee surgeries, I don't push through the pain, I heal. I think you are doing the right thing

Post a Comment

 

Site Info

The Unlikely Success Story is lived, written and maintained by Tonyne.