Wednesday, March 3, 2010

This Smoothie is The Bomb!

Good Wednesday morning to ya!

In case I haven't told you guys lately, thanks for reading. I appreciate your comments so much! I feel like this blog and YOU are such a huge part of the reason that I'm doing so well on my journey.

This morning was a Cross-Training day on my 10k training schedule. I really need to start building some muscle. I'm pretty sure this is the next step in my journey. Cardio is only going to take me so far. I've done 30 Day Shred a bit, dabbled here and there in different things, I do yoga. However, I've avoided weight training. I hate weight training. I know that my muscles feel worked and tired (this is a feeling I have learned to appreciate as a good thing) afterward and I like that feeling, but it doesn't give me the endorphin rush that I think I am addicted to. I found a 20 minute total body workout sheet on Weight Watchers online, I printed it out this morning and took it to the gym with me. It went fairly well, on the overhead press I could only lift the bar with no weight. :/ It took me all around the gym working everything from Abs to Legs. Maybe, with any luck, I'll grow a fondness for weight training.

Onto the Star of the Show!

Caitlin over at HealthyTippingPoint.com started talking about Chocolate Cherry Bomb smoothies. Of course, I decided to try my hand at making one. Here is my variation, I swear it tastes like you're drinking a chocolate covered cherry, no joke!

Chocolate Cherry Spinach Bomb

1/2 of a banana, frozen
1/2 cup of frozen Dole Dark Sweet Cherries
1 cup of fresh spinach
1 cup of Light Vanilla Soy Milk
1 scoop Chocolate Deluxe Biggest Loser Whey Protein Powder
2 ice cubes

Put first 4 ingredients in blender carafe the night before you want to enjoy your smoothie and place in fridge.

The next morning, add protein powder and ice cubes and blend until...well, blended. This smoothie is 3 Weight Watcher points.

That's it! For those of you who are scared to try the Green Monster movement this would be a fantastic one to try. You don't taste the spinach at all! It really tastes like you're having a Chocolate Covered Cherry Milkshake for breakfast. And cherries are a Superfood! Good for your joints and packed full of antioxidants!



No one paid me to say that. I just REALLY love this smoothie! :)

Last night for dinner I made chicken that I lightly breaded with panko breadcrumbs and baked. I also made Hungry-Girl's Cheesy Butternut Squash Bake. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures for you guys. See, I took a bite of the butternut squash after I blended it but before I baked it and I honestly thought I was going to hate it. So I didn't even bother...after it baked, I ate it too fast to be bothered with a camera.



But it's good and you should try it!

Ok, that's enough of my all over the place chaos for today. I hope you guys held on tight and didn't get whiplash!

How do you feel about weight training? Do you do it? Do you have a trainer or use printed work outs? I'm really interested, please tell me! :)

I swear I'm not as desperate as I sound...ok, maybe I am a little. Weights are scary!

10 comments:

ThunderThighs on March 3, 2010 at 9:45 AM said...

first of all the smoothy sounds soooooo delish!!!! i'll have to steal the recipe...

secondly, after reading tons of information and articles about weight training, i'm a huge believer in it... on jillian michaels' website, she talks about the only actually proven way to increase your metabolism is by gaining muscle... that's because muscle metabolizes food faster than fat... so, i've really been trying to mix in weight training as often as possible into my workout regime... i use printed workouts along with tips i've read in fitness magazines and heard from others... plus i like the look of somewhat sculpted arms... i don't like bullk though, so i try not to overdo it... i hope this helps!

Tracy on March 3, 2010 at 9:47 AM said...

I love weight training, I could seriously get addicted to it! but I have to lose this weight first because if not, I bulk up so much I look like I should be named Helgu from some communist block country! lol

Ex Yo-Yo Dieter Debbie on March 3, 2010 at 9:49 AM said...

That chocolate covered cherry milkshake looks really good! I've never put spinach in any kind of smoothie - too scared I'll taste it, I guess. (and normally I like spinach, just not in a drink I'm expecting to be on the sweeter side).

I think you have me convinced to try it!

PS I like weight training. I used to have a trainer and she was great - she kept changing the program so it never got boring.

Corletta on March 3, 2010 at 10:32 AM said...

I LOVE weight training! To be honest, I am as addicted to them as I am cardio (and you know I'm a runner). Right now, my husband and I are doing the Body for Life method. You should give it a shot.

Unknown on March 3, 2010 at 10:43 AM said...

never thought to add frozen cherries to my green monster smoothies! great idea! :) I will have to remember that come the warm weather when I am smoothy crazy! :)

lol @ the pic saying OOPPSS! :) Glad dinner was good!

Ryan Sullivan on March 3, 2010 at 10:48 AM said...

Weight training is awesome. It builds leans muscle mass which burns fat. I love to get my lift on! Here are some links that explain the benefits:

http://www.skylermeine.com/2010/03/metabolism-lean-muscle-mass/

http://www.askfitnesscoach.com/2009/09/should-i-do-cardio-or-weight-training-to-lose-weight-vicki-p/

Also, here is an example workout that strengthens your core and is a full body workout too. Just add as much weight as is comfortable for you (but pushes you) in the "resistance" section of the workout.

http://nomorebacon.com/uploads/core-and-resistance-workout.pdf

If you're not familiar with any of the workouts just send me a message. Hope this all helps :)

Samantha~ on March 3, 2010 at 11:21 AM said...

That smoothie is amazing!!

As for the weight training, its comes and goes. Sometimes I love lifting by myself, and sometimes I love doing Body Pump classes. I would start with a class, they are fun and keep your heart rate up giving you a great calorie burn. And no matter what anyone says, women cannot bulk up by doing weight training, even if you are overweight to begin with. Women don't have enough testosterone to build muscle like men. When you start lifting you may put on muscle, but that will only help to burn more calories, plus muscle takes up less space than fat.

I get most of my lifting routines from Oxygen or Muscle and Fitness Hers. If you want a more structured program, you could check into The New Rules of Lifting For Women. Its a great program. Also if you have the means to talk to a trainer, I would ask them what is best for starting lifting while also training for your race. Wouldn't want to over do it on the weights and wear your legs out.

Sorry for the long response. Hope some of that jibberish was useful.

Continuous Changes on March 3, 2010 at 1:26 PM said...

I just started weight training....oh, yesterday! I love how sore I am today. I just decide on a couple of muscle groups to work out and work them out. Maybe it's not the best idea, but we will see.

Robyn on March 7, 2010 at 9:47 PM said...

I love the green monster too! It's my new fave thing :) I should try the cherry one.

Robyn on March 9, 2010 at 9:24 AM said...

Made this last night but subbed the chocolate BL whey for vanilla. Holy yum!

Post a Comment

 

Site Info

The Unlikely Success Story is lived, written and maintained by Tonyne.