Monday, December 28, 2009

Meatless Monday – Tortilla Pie

 

I renamed “Vegetarian Monday” to “Meatless Monday”, has a better ring to it I think. I hope no one minds. :)

Today, I got a recommendation for Meatless Monday from a friend and co-worker Shelly. She recently became a vegetarian and had made this dish. She found the recipe on AllRecipes.com, a fantastic website that everyone should use.

Click here for the original recipe for Tortilla Pie as seen on AllRecipes.com.

Here is how I made it:

Tortilla Pie Redux

1 can refried beans

1 cup salsa, divided

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained

1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes

7 (8 inch) whole wheat tortillas

1 1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat shredded Cheese mix (I used what I had on hand)

I followed the directions as she wrote them in the original recipe for mixing and baking. Except for the fact I didn’t have a pie plate (which I was shocked to realize) and used a baking sheet.

Of course I had to include Chase who I had plenty of time to play with while this lovely dish baked for 40 minutes. 

The result is a really hearty meatless meal. The beans pack a punch of protein and you don’t realize it’s missing meat at all. You could easily add MorningStar “Meat Crumbles” to this if you wanted the meaty texture, but I promise you won’t miss it!

It’s a messy meal, but it tastes great! I think a pie plate would have made for a pretty presentation, but the baking sheet worked fine. I am enjoying it with some fat free sour cream on the side. Next time, since I cook mostly for myself, I will probably half the recipe and make the whole thing smaller. I will be eating tortilla pie for days!

There it is, another Meatless Monday…and I haven’t missed the meat yet! :)

blog signature

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Site Info

The Unlikely Success Story is lived, written and maintained by Tonyne.