Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Polenta Triangles with Black Bean Salad

 

I have to tell you, I never imagined I would have so much fun cooking vegetarian food, but I’m not missing anything. You won’t either if you cook this recipe. I put this as 2 large servings, but this could easily be 3 regular size servings. I was just STARVING. :)

Polenta Triangles (2 servings, 2pts per serving)Black Bean Salad and Polenta 002

Ingredients

2 cups water  
1/2 cup yellow corn meal stone ground

Instructions

1. Bring 2 cups salted water to a boil.

2. Gradually add corn meal to water, whisking constantly until it's the consistency of mashed potatoes. Add whatever seasonings you would like to add at this point. Parmesan cheese and butter is a personal favorite. Takes about 4-5 minutes.

3. Pour polenta into small casserole dish and allow to chill in fridge overnight, or until firm. (I completed up to point last night while my peppers were baking. I feel an overnight chill works best)

4. Place a cutting board on top of casserole dish and turn upside down allowing polenta to fall out of dish. You may need to run an knife around the edges of the dish before flipping so it will fall out. Cut into desired shapes. I chose triangles.

5. Sauté over medium-high heat in a non-stick skillet sprayed with cooking spray until golden. 

Creole Seasoned Black Bean Salad (2 servings, 5pts per serving)

Ingredients

1 tsp Creole seasoning  
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped  
1 cup frozen corn kernels  
15 oz canned black beans, rinsed and drained  
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar  
1/3 cup tomato, chopped  
3/4 cups green beans, fresh, cut into thirds and steamed in microwave  

Instructions

1. Sauté onions in a non-stick skillet sprayed with cooking spray until tender.

2. Add beans, steamed green beans, corn and Creole seasoning and vinegar. Stir in tomatoes when corn thaws completely. Cook until warmed. Serve over polenta squares

I topped mine with a little fat free sour cream and dove right in. It is amazing! This is definitely one I will make again and again. I think, if I could, I would marry polenta. I love it. A lot.

So far, I’m having a good week. I feel so much better. My husband’s schedule changed again, so now we will have even less time together. This summer is going to be a tough one. On a good note, I think we are going to the driving range on Thursday and I am so excited! I haven’t been in a few weeks! That is, of course, if we can stand the heat. It’s been unbearable here! Highs in the upper 90s and Heat Indexes in the 110’ish area. HOT. Needless to say, my butt has been running in the gym on the treadmill.

How do you beat the heat? What’s your favorite summer activity?

6 comments:

Fit Chick in the City on June 23, 2010 at 8:14 AM said...

I use to be have a really high heat tolerance, but after living in the NE for the past 10 years I don't do as well in it as I once did.

Marisa @Loser for Life on June 23, 2010 at 10:47 AM said...

Yum! I'm loving your polenta recipes! I still have those polenta muffins bookmarked for my "hurry up and try this" file!

Unknown on June 23, 2010 at 10:51 AM said...

mmmm YUM! I love vegetarian cooking too! If I made that my shape of choice would be stars. lol :)

Autumn @Good Eats Girl on June 23, 2010 at 1:43 PM said...

I have never had polenta, but it looks amazing!! I may have to try it out!

Lynda with a Y on June 23, 2010 at 2:27 PM said...

I just got polenta and I didn't know what to do with it till now. Extra points for a vegetarian recipe. Thanks!

Tish on June 23, 2010 at 6:17 PM said...

Thanks for this recipe, Tonyne. I enjoyed polenta a lot when we lived in Italy and always meant to make it, but it never happened. Polenta is also one of the CORE (simply filling) foods on WW, which gives it an extra star in my book.

Post a Comment

 

Site Info

The Unlikely Success Story is lived, written and maintained by Tonyne.