Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Peppers stuffed with Quinoa, Feta and Corn

 

Peppers Stuffed with Quinoa, Feta and Corn (2 servings, 6 pts per serving)

Ingredients

1/2 cup uncooked quinoaStuffed Peppers 003   
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped  
1 clove garlic clove, minced  
1 tsp ground cumin  
1 cup frozen corn kernels  
2 cups spinach, chopped  
1/4 cup feta cheese  
2 bell peppers  

Instructions

1. Bring 1 cup of water to boil. Add 1/2 tsp salt, then the quinoa. Give it a stir, cover and simmer over low heat until the grains are tender. About 15 minutes.

2. Spray skillet with non-stick spray and sauté onion. Once tender add garlic, cumin, corn and spinach along with 2 tbsp water. When spinach is wilted, add quinoa and feta. Toss everything together, remove from heat, season with Salt & Pepper as desired.

3. Slice the peppers in half lengthwise without removing the tops or stems, remove seeds. Simmer them in salted water until tender to the touch but not overly soft. About 4-5 minutes. Remove from water. Fill them with quinoa and set them in a baking dish.

4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray the tops of the stuffed peppers with non-stick spray and bake until peppers are heated through, about 20-30 minutes. Switch heat to broil and brown the tops. Serve hot, warm or at room temperature.

Recipe was adapted from the book Vegetarian Suppers from Deborah Madison’s Kitchen

This was a pretty good meal. Next time I will add more spices, however I think it’s a GREAT base to play with. I didn’t follow the recipe exactly from the book because I didn’t have everything on hand. I’ve never boiled my peppers before stuffing and baking them, it makes them so soft and tender. They just fell apart when cut. I definitely will be doing that going forward with stuffed peppers. I topped mine with hot sauce, cause that’s how I roll. It felt good to cook a healthy meal at home.

I also premade my polenta for tonight’s dinner but I will give you all those deets tomorrow.

Healthy snacks I’ve been snacking on so far this week:

Frozen Grapes (Why oh why did I wait so long to try this? So easy and so AMAZING on these hot, hot nights!)

Cherries (I swallowed a cherry pit and while the adult Tonyne understood that a cherry tree could never grow out of your stomach, the kid Tonyne who still resides in my head was FREAKING out about it)

Frozen Chocolate Covered Bananas (At just 2 points a piece, who needs ice cream!)

Banana Soft Serve (It’s hit the blog world like a storm and I’m so glad it did!)

After two days of healthy eating and being mindful of my actions, I feel so much better already. Now to just keep the momentum going! I even managed to make it out for a run this morning!

6.22.10 run

 

What’s your favorite healthy snack? Do you prefer sweet or savory?

2 comments:

Tish on June 22, 2010 at 9:52 AM said...

I made stuffed peppers last week, too, and, for the first time ever, I parboiled mine, too. What a difference! I'd also forgotten about frozen grapes. Such nice texture and flavor on the tongue. My favorite healthy snack? Popcorn. Whole Grain, high volume to low calorie count, and satisfies my need for crunch. I use my Presto Powerpop with one tsp of oil and make "kettle corn" with a few packets of Splenda and a sprinkle of popcorn butter salt.

Unknown on June 22, 2010 at 11:51 AM said...

yeah I've never boiled the peppers first either- interesting. Meal sounds yummy- thx for sharing it!

You will start sprouting a cherrie tree any day now...lol

I love frozen grapes! so refreshing in the HEAT!

Banana soft serve! YUM! I have never wanted my bananas to turn brown so fast! lol It's so tasty! :)

Post a Comment

 

Site Info

The Unlikely Success Story is lived, written and maintained by Tonyne.