Thursday, June 24, 2010

I’m not a lush, I promise.

 

I have to tell you. This no drinking until July 3rd thing is proving to be quite difficult for me. I’m not an alcoholic by any means, but I drink at least 1-2 times a week with my friends. That’s what we do. We get together and have a few drinks. I can’t go to a bar with them and not have a drink. I can not eat at a restaurant, but I can’t go to a bar and not have a drink. If we don’t go to bars, we go to each other’s houses or to the beach…where we have drinks.

Ta 11 09 031 Katie's Going Away Party 083 29914_426096749877_652804877_5574835_3749707_n
Planet Fun 012 Tree Trimming Party 132 NYE 2009 068

This is an especially busy time of year for me, I’m under a lot of stress at work and a few drinks are always welcome. I’ve been asked several times this week to go out, even to have “secret beers” that no one would know about. It’s been tempting, but I am trying to stay strong. I want to prove to myself that I can go 2 weeks without drinking. I am assuming I won’t see my friends much. My husband even said “It’s going to be a long two weeks” he’s so right.

Wow. I sound like a total lush, don’t I? I wouldn’t blame any of you for thinking that I have a drinking problem. :) IMG_1699

Last night for dinner, I made Zucchini Parmigiana. I only deviated from  the recipe in a couple ways. I used non-fat or reduced fat cheese and instead of egg whites I used 2 Tbsp of Italian dressing, 2 for the ricotta cheese and 2 for the zucchini before breading. It turned into a cheesy, gooey, delicious mess. Next time I will use more zucchini and less cheese and sauce. On the side I just had a random broccoli slaw, spinach, carrot and onion salad with a little miracle whip, horseradish mustard and seasoning. It was an easy, comforting meal.

Today is my day off, it’s supposed to be 96 degrees with a heat index of 110’ish. :/ I am going for a run in the air conditioned gym on the treadmill, then I’m off to the library to return a few cookbooks and to pick up In The Defense of Food by Michael Pollan and I’m thinking some pool time will need to be in there somewhere. The husby and I are supposed to go to the driving range to hit some golf balls, but I assume if the heat doesn’t break a little bit we won’t be going. We’ll see!

So, if adults don’t get together and have cocktails, what do they do? What do you do with your friends?

3 comments:

Unknown on June 24, 2010 at 11:27 AM said...

I like a couple of drinks now and then so what I did was pick a day. If I have no plans w/ friends or if we are not going out, I pick Sunday to take a glass of wine out on the deck and eat a snack. It just relaxes me and that one day is when I do it.
Sean's cousin does not drink so when we go over there we just hang out with ice tea. Not as exciting!

I think it's great you are doing this...but I also believe in everything in moderation! Lol chug a lug! Lol ohh sorry!

Dinner looked delicious! Yum! :)

Autumn @Good Eats Girl on June 24, 2010 at 10:23 PM said...

I think it's great that you are challenging yourself like this! I'm also impressed that you are sticking with it! You'll make it successfully!

Anonymous said...

For a post work activity I actually will frequently go on a walk with one of my friends, and to the dog park with another one (with our dogs). Socially we all play games a lot, and sometimes that involves some drinks and sometimes it doesn't. A lot depends on the group though. In terms of going out with your friends but not getting a drink you can always opt for the seltzer water plus fruit mixer option - but that depends on if you miss the drink itself or if you just would like to have something in your hand other than soda while hanging out. Good for you to sticking to your guns :-)

Post a Comment

 

Site Info

The Unlikely Success Story is lived, written and maintained by Tonyne.