Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Table for One.

 

Last night I made SkinnyTaste Italian Spinach Meatballs for dinner. Absolutely amazing. Best meatball I have ever had in my entire life, healthy or not. I didn’t deviate from the meatball recipe at all, except I made only half of it and I added fresh basil as well as parsley. Knock out hit. Making my random 001sauce I was able to use a tomato fresh out of my TopsyTurvey Tomato Grower! It’s a tiny “patio breed” of tomato. It tasted great in my sauce! Isn’t it adorable? :)

The meatballs were too glorious (sorry, I didn’t take pictures) for my usual sit down at the coffee table in front of the TV routine. They deserved much more than that. While cooking I was listening to some music, Band of Horses to be exact, and I left that playing and I sat at my bar table. 

random 002Beautiful, isn’t it? My brother made it. Yep, I said “made it” not “put it together”. He used scrap pieces of wood. The same wood was once an entertainment center in one of my old apartments, before that I’m sure they were someone’s bi-fold doors. The man is a genius. He put a lot of love into it. My sister also bought me the bar stools, so it’s kind of a double-love table.

I never sit at my table. Isn’t that terrible? I eat alone most of the time, so it just made sense to take my food to the living room. I sat at the table last night and enjoyed every bite of my food. It was peaceful. It was as if I could feel my mind unwinding from the day without distraction. While I may not sit there every night, this is definitely something I am going to repeat very soon.random 003

After dinner, I took Chaser for a 2 mile walk! He didn’t appreciate it, he’s lazy, but  I appreciated his exhaustion when a little thunderstorm blew up when we got home. After our walk, in a great mood, I even painted my toenails with a sparkly purple color nail polish that a Drag Queen left at random 004 my house many moons ago and I did laundry! I don’t believe any of the above things would have been accomplished had I just done the normal sit in front of the coffee table and watch TV while eating dinner. Eating dinner at the table changed my entire evening. Just that 1 little thing.



This leads me to my question of today: Where do you eat?

8 comments:

Tracy on June 30, 2010 at 9:44 AM said...

We never used to eat at the table, even with the kids growing up. When they were little we didn't have central heat/air and we didn't have a window unit in the kitchen, so it was too warm, and it just carried through. Now, when Justin and Morgan moved back in with us, they did meals at the table (Justin's family's habit) and now, even though they are gone, we have just continued itl.

Unknown on June 30, 2010 at 10:30 AM said...

ok look how cute your dog is sitting there!!! lol

Cute color on your toes!! I like it!

Im bad- when I am alone I sit at the couch with my food. I dont like my table & chairs they are uncomfortable. lol But If sean is home I make him sit at the table- just in case he spills. lol

Jenn@slim-shoppin on June 30, 2010 at 4:36 PM said...

Hi! Love the table/chair story! That's awesome that your brother made it.

I think eating at the table is so much better than sitting in front of the TV, although my family mostly watches TV for dinner (but I have an excuse, our dining room is used as an office right now)

I sometimes am amazed if we just turn off the TV how much stuff I get done. Last week, I took my 3 kids to the library after dinner and we all came home and read for over an hour. It was so nice!

And I have green tomatoes on my topsy turvey!!

Unknown on June 30, 2010 at 7:56 PM said...

GlaD you enjoyed my meatballs! You're brother is very talented!!

Autumn @Good Eats Girl on June 30, 2010 at 9:36 PM said...

What a cool table! And what a great story that goes along with it!

Before we had kids, we sat in front of the tv for dinner almost every night. Now that we have kids, we sit at the table for dinner.

ejaz14357 on July 1, 2010 at 5:14 AM said...

I took my 3 kids to the library after dinner and we all came home and read for over an hour. It was so nice, ireally like this blog.

Anonymous said...

Okay, wait a minute, hold the phone, back up. . . how did I miss the fact that we're both North Carolinans? WTF? Really? I mean, how does stuff like that get missed? Or am I just having a senior moment? I'm starting to kick around the idea of a NC meetup, perhaps at a beach location with BEER and perhaps SHOTS made with JELLO (sugar free, natch. gotta cut those calories where we can). You think?

Unknown on July 1, 2010 at 10:40 AM said...

Chaser looks adorable! I love the table, too :)

I eat in front of the TV, standing in the kitchen or at the bar the separates my kitchen from the living room. It all depends on my mood.

Post a Comment

 

Site Info

The Unlikely Success Story is lived, written and maintained by Tonyne.