Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Meatless Monday – Vegetable Fajitas

 

Yesterday was one of those days. It seemed like no one had anything positive to say and everyone was full of negativity. By the end of the day, it had completely rubbed off on me. I thought the evening was ruined.

I got home, checked my mail and found a package from Zazzle. A gift from my amazing friend Heather.

Shirt 001 Shirt 002

Front

Back

How funny is that? If you read my blog regularly, you’ll know that I recently went 2 whole weeks without going to the grocery store. I used pantry items and frozen stuff to make my meals for a week. I told Heather I felt like I was on the TV Show Survivor at times! However, with way less bugs.

After I got my shirt my mood lifted, I cranked up some Bob Marley and started making the most incredible vegetable fajitas and spanish rice!

Vegetable Fajitas 003

Not the best picture, but trust me it tastes amazing!

POINTS® Value:    5
Servings:  2

Ingredients

4 item(s) Mission White corn tortillas, warmed   

1 cup(s) onion(s), finely sliced   

1 item(s) bell pepper(s), Red - cut into strips

1 medium yellow summer squash, cut into small wedges

1 cup fresh spinach

1 clove(s) garlic clove(s), minced   

1 Tbsp vegetable oil   

1/4 cup(s) salsa    Vegetable Fajitas 001

2 tsp McCormick Ground cumin  

Instructions
  1. Coat skillet with oil and heat on med-high. Add onions, peppers and garlic. Stir to coat and cover for 5 minutes.
  2. Add squash, spinach, salsa, cumin (salt and pepper to taste), stir and then cover for another 5 minutes.
  3. Serve on tortillas.

So amazingly delicious! Adding the squash only during the last 5 minutes helps the squash keep a hearty meat like consistency. I know yellow squash isn’t in season yet, but it looked so good at the store, I couldn’t help myself! It’s one of my favorite vegetables! Make this dish, you won’t be disappointed!

The spanish rice was super easy too! 1/2 cup brown rice, 1 cup water, 3/4 cup diced tomatoes, dash of cumin, dash of red pepper flakes, cook rice like normal, add 1/4 cup of frozen corn during the last 15 minutes. All done!

When I was done eating, the sun was still up! That is going to take some getting used to!

In other news, this getting up at 5am is working great. It’s 5:47am right now! It’s easier for me to get out of bed by telling myself “You don’t have to hit the ground running, just get up, relax and have some coffee.”

That being said, it’s time to get ready to run!

How do you deal with negative people? Do you ignore them or give them attitude? I tend to always reply back with attitude (shocking, I know!) and it kills my good mood.

5 comments:

Ex Yo-Yo Dieter Debbie on March 16, 2010 at 7:31 AM said...

For a long time, I've been one of those meek people who just smiles and should say something, but doesn't. Then I'd go home and eat if I felt bad!

Now, I'm trying to just view negative people as the ones with the problem and try not to internalize it. Mentally (and sometimes verbally too now) I just heap their negativity back on them. Leave me out of it!

Glad you're enjoying your early mornings...and cute shirt :)

Tracy on March 16, 2010 at 8:48 AM said...

you are helping me meal plan!

Corletta on March 16, 2010 at 9:58 AM said...

oooo that dinner looks so yummy! Thanks, always, for the great recipes!!!

Unknown on March 16, 2010 at 11:12 AM said...

mmm dinner looked tasty! Id DIE without fresh fruit and veggies for 2 weeks!!! How on earth did you do that!!!???? lol I also have the SMALLEST fridge/freezer so there would be no way Id survive. lol

Arlene on March 16, 2010 at 2:06 PM said...

It does look delish. Maybe I should commit to Meatless Monday.

Post a Comment

 

Site Info

The Unlikely Success Story is lived, written and maintained by Tonyne.