Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Meatless Monday - Meat & Potato-less Shepherd's Pie

Last night's dinner was AMAZING. I knew I wanted to make a shepherd's pie using Soy Crumbles, but I wasn't sure what I had in my pantry to pull it all together. What turned out was a Meat and Potato-less Meal that tasted so amazing I couldn't wait to share it with you. It may not be the prettiest meal, but it's one of my new favorites.

I know what you're thinking..."there is no way that can taste good". But you're wrong. Soooo wrong.



Meat & Potato-less Shepherd's Pie

POINTS® Value: 4
Servings: 3

Ingredients

2 cup(s) steamed and mashed* butternut squash,
1 can cream of broccoli soup
2 cup(s) frozen mixed vegetables (I used a green bean, corn, pea and carrot mix)
1 cup(s) meatless soy crumbles
1 clove(s) garlic clove(s), minced
1/4 cup(s) cooked onions
1/4 cup(s) shredded fat-free mozzarella cheese
Salt, Pepper, Onion & Garlic Powder to taste

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Saute onions and garlic in non-stick pan sprayed with cooking spray until soft. Add frozen vegetables and Soy Crumbles cook until just done. Add spices to taste.

Add cream of broccoli soup and 1/4 can of water, bring to a simmer.

Remove from heat and then place vegetable mixture in a loaf pan sprayed with cooking spray. Top with mashed butternut squash and sprinkle with cheese.

Bake in 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes until bubbly, place under broiler for approximately 5 minutes until cheese is lightly browned.

*I placed 1/2 of a butternut squash cut into cubes in a glass bowl with about 1/4 cup of water and microwaved for approximately 8 minutes and then mashed with a fork.

Here are a few of my meal ideas for the rest of the week:

Tuesday - Beef, Broccoli and Pepper Stir Fry
Wednesday - Crock-pot BBQ Shredded Chicken
Thursday - Lentil & Turkey Sausage Soup with Pasta
Friday - Leftovers

I'm trying to make it through this week without a trip to the grocery store, so I based my meals on pantry items or things I had available. I may or my not conduct my own iron chef battles alone in my kitchen.

I was supposed to run this morning but when I woke up the temperature was 40 degrees. I knew that this afternoon would be 65'ish degrees so I packed up my running gear and brought it to work. My plan is to go right out the door of my office and take off after work. If yesterday's stress level is any indication of today's, I will NEED to run.

How do you deal with work stress?

I know most of us have it. I used to eat and drink it away. Now I tend to do some sort of physical activity to release the tension.

9 comments:

Unknown on March 9, 2010 at 10:07 AM said...

So creative of you! Iron cC LET THE BATTLE BEGIN! lol :)

Unknown on March 9, 2010 at 10:08 AM said...

opps Iron CHEF


sorry I should wait till I sip more coffee before I comment in the AM's lol

Ex Yo-Yo Dieter Debbie on March 9, 2010 at 10:27 AM said...

I'm impressed with the meal you created! I think it looks good!

Are the "soy crumbles" like ground beef, but meatless (and of course, made of soy)?

Cole Walter Mellon on March 9, 2010 at 10:56 AM said...

Maybe you can help me work out the details of my crustless no-cherry cherry pie. I can't think of anything to put in it so I just have an empty pie plate. Maybe that's for the best...

Gina on March 9, 2010 at 3:19 PM said...

I can't wait for your Thursday recipe! Please post...it sounds so yummy!

katie on March 9, 2010 at 5:16 PM said...

Oh cool! I just so happen to be making Shepard's Pie with soy crumbles tonight. Great minds think alike :-)

Tracy on March 10, 2010 at 7:28 AM said...

shepards pie with meat is something I just can't eat, so not sure how I would feel about this. Then again, considering I am still not losing weight despite doing everything (reduced calories, healthy choices, 2-a-day workouts), I need to figure out something!

Ex Yo-Yo Dieter Debbie on March 10, 2010 at 8:16 AM said...

Hi Tonyne

It's me again. I just wanted to tell you that I've given you a "Creative Writing" award.

This one is sort of silly and fun, but interesting too.

I posted a link to your blog as well!

Anonymous said...

I made this tonight. I was looking at what I had in the kitchen and I had everything so I said "Lets do it!"
Amazing! This dish is so good. It's savory and sweet.
I highly recommend this recipe to everyone!!


Shelly.

Post a Comment

 

Site Info

The Unlikely Success Story is lived, written and maintained by Tonyne.