Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Gimme a break!

This morning I woke up at 5:45am for my 3.5 mile training run. I had a full night sleep, I slept great. I woke up easily, walked around my house, had a glass of water and stared at my running clothes. I did not want to run. I knew this was more than just a whiny "I don't want to do this", this was a decision I was going to make because I knew I wasn't going to push through this time. I visualized myself running, the idea didn't sit well. So, I crawled back into bed and made the choice to skip my run this morning.

I usually am excited and if I can push through the whiny voice in my head not wanting to run, I know I will be happy. This morning was different. I feel like I'm getting a little burnt out on running. I've been training for my 5k which is in 2 weeks, on Thanksgiving Day, and I've been running every other day for 3 weeks. I do other exercises, but I don't do any other type of cardio and I think that I just needed a break from running. I have no doubt that I will pick back up with running on Thursday with my next scheduled 3.5 mile run...but today, I just needed a break. I never want running to feel like a chore. That's not why I started.

That being said, I almost didn't post today. I was going to email a friend and explain myself for accountability, but I didn't want to post it to the world. Then I realized, why do I feel guilty? Why shouldn't I be accountable? I skipped a run. I'm still eating well, I have been a running machine for the past 3 weeks, I'm not jumping ship...I just skipped a run. I made a thought out choice to skip a run. It wasn't a lazy decision, it didn't come from me not getting enough sleep or being hungover. I have nothing to feel bad about. Sometimes, we just need a break.

I tried a new recipe last night, Cheesy Polenta Casserole. I of course used organic polenta, low fat cheeses (Italian blend and a little fat free cheddar) and I bulked up my tomato sauce (I used a can of tomato sauce with my seasonings) with some frozen peas. I also used a slightly larger dish and only layered twice. It turned out amazingly well! It's delicious and very filling! I should have taken a picture, it looked beautiful too!

I am in a good place right now, mentally and physically. I am enjoying my life and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. It's amazing the confidence it gives me to be able to say that and mean it.

Happy Tuesday.

1 comments:

Mandie on November 10, 2009 at 10:48 AM said...

I'm a newbie follower... but had to tell you that I've TOTALLY been there! You definitely don't want to dread running, so taking the day off was your best bet! You did NO harm girlie!! Keep up the fantastic work...maybe it'll get me motivated to run again... I DO want to do a 1/2 in the spring, if only I could get motivated!

Post a Comment

 

Site Info

The Unlikely Success Story is lived, written and maintained by Tonyne.