Monday, August 31, 2009

Southern Squash Casserole

I make this dish regularly and usually get at least 1 request for it, so I figured I'd share it on my blog. Here it is, my healthified Southern Squash Casserole recipe:

3 medium sized squash sliced into half moons (I use a mixture of yellow and zucchini)
1 medium onion chopped
1/2 cup fat free cheddar cheese
1/4 cup reduced fat parmesan cheese
1/4 cup fat free sour cream
Salt, Pepper, Onion Powder and Garlic Power to taste (I don't measure seasonings, I also change this up from time to time with different things)
2 slices of light bread ground into bread crumbs (you can also just cut it into cubes)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees, lightly spray a 2 quart casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.

Saute the squash and onion in a pan sprayed lightly with non-stick cooking spray until soft.

In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients except the bread crumbs, once the squash and onions are done, add them to the bowl and mix everything together. Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish, top with the bread crumbs. Spray the top of the bread crumbs lightly with non-stick cooking spray.

Place dish in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until the top is golden brown.

Easy, peasey! It's a wonderful healthy alternative to the original, but for my friends who don't cut calories, the recipe would be just as tasty with the full fat options.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Site Info

The Unlikely Success Story is lived, written and maintained by Tonyne.