Wednesday, May 13, 2009

About Me

Like most people on January 1st, 2009 I made a list of goals I would like to accomplish for the year. It went something like this:


  1. Lose 50lbs


  2. Go to the gym more (at least 3x a week)


  3. Quit Smoking


  4. Read some Classics


  5. Save Money

It looks like every list I've made, every year, since puberty. On January 5th, I stepped on the scale and at a short 5'4'' was depressed (although not surprised since my diet consisted of beer and pizza) to see that my weight had climbed to 209.6lbs. With the support of friends at work, I started following the Weight Watchers Points system, which had worked for me in the past, working out and weighing in weekly. I could barely run at 5.0mph for 40 seconds and 20 minutes 2-3 times a week was my work out schedule.

When I started The Unlikely Success Story, I weighed 178.4lbs, I'd quit smoking, I went to the gym at least 5 times a week and I was so busy reading up on healthy recipes and fitness tips that I did not have time to read any classics. I could run 1.5 miles at 5.4mph without stopping to walk and my goal was to do a 5k in the fall. I wanted to write about how I've made it this far and continue writing about how I'm doing.

Well, I'm happy to say that I an down to 165'ish pounds on any given day, I completed my first 5k on Thanksgiving Day and I'm registered for my 2nd in January. I've found a healthy balance that I enjoy and I have confidence that I can maintain this lifestyle change for the rest of my life. I know there will be pitfalls along the road but I know how to pick myself up and start again.

I hope that what you find here will be interesting, helpful, humorous at times and not too boring. I look forward to continuing to share my journey with you!

 

Site Info

The Unlikely Success Story is lived, written and maintained by Tonyne.