Thursday, July 22, 2010

The proof is in the pudding!

 

I was at Wal-Mart the other day and they have the most amazing selection of Sugar Free, Fat Free Instant Pudding. Have you seen it? It’s like a Jell-O Mecca! I was so excited, I bought 5 different kinds as visions of pudding pops, pudding pudding and possibly even pudding pies popped into my head. All made healthy because I had a secret weapon at home!

IMG_1745

I rushed home with my goodies and immediately headed into the kitchen to whip together some white chocolate pudding. I look at the box to find out how much Vanilla Soy Milk I need to add, because that is what I have at home and I see this:

IMG_1746

What’s the French, Toast? Are you KIDDING me? “Pudding will not set if made with soy milk.” How am I supposed to make pudding now? I don’t have regular milk. I rarely have regular milk.

Random tangent ahead, beware…

I feel bad for the milk cows. Have you ever heard the phrase “God Bless a Milk Cow!” uttered (haha) out of frustration? Well, I believe it! I don’t think it’s fair that they have to live in post partum state just so I can drink cow milk when I can drink soy milk. Do I still eat cheese? Yes. All the time. Does this make sense? No. Not at all. I love cheese and I will not give it up for any reason…but milk, that is something that I will usually pass on. I guess not, not anymore, because Instant Pudding is MILKIST! It’s Anti-Soy Milk!

/end random tangent.

Not one to give up on my dreams. I did some reading on the subject and found that if you attempt to make pudding with soy milk, which trust me, I almost did because I tend not to believe what packaging tells me…you get pudding flavored soy milk. Eww.

But, guess what? Upon even more research (I gave up quite easily the first time I looked into it) I found a LOOP HOLE! You just use 1 – 1 1/2 cups of soy milk per package of instant pudding instead of 2 cups of regular milk as called for. I like a thicker pudding, so I used 1 cup and 2 Tbsp of Light Vanilla Soy Milk mixed with the Cheesecake flavored Sugar Free, Fat Free Instant Pudding mix. The end result was a very smooth, luscious cheesecake pudding that was the perfect consistency (for me). So perfect in fact, I served it in a fancy glass, cause that’s how I roll!

IMG_1752 IMG_1753

The lesson in this pudding story? Never give up on your dreams. I dreamt of a cow milk-less instant pudding and with a little help of the interwebs, I made my dream a reality, so can you!

6 comments:

Unknown on July 22, 2010 at 3:59 PM said...

lol they do have a HUGE selection!!! I love stocking up at that store! Good for you for finding a way to save the cow milk?? lol GO SOY!

Robyn @ WannabeWriterRunner on July 22, 2010 at 6:22 PM said...

Hehe glad you found a workaround. I love vanilly pudding!

Tracy on July 22, 2010 at 8:06 PM said...

got to give this a try.

Autumn @Good Eats Girl on July 22, 2010 at 10:35 PM said...

Yay! So glad that the pudding turned out for you!

Traveliztera on July 23, 2010 at 2:58 AM said...

Wow!!!!!!! I like chocolate!!!

Shelly said...

I wonder if it would work with rice or almond milk...Hmmm.....

Post a Comment

 

Site Info

The Unlikely Success Story is lived, written and maintained by Tonyne.