Thursday, January 14, 2010

Operation Freezer

 

*cue cheesy mission impossible tune*

The Mission: Clean out my Freezer by trying to actually use the stuff.

The Agent: A healthy eater with a weak spot for sale items.

Mission…accepted.

Here is my freezer:

Operation Freezer 002 Operation Freezer 001

Absolutely choked full of stuff. I have no idea what is in there! Upon a quick glance I found 97% Fat Free Hebrew International Hot Dogs, half a bag of frozen shrimp, several varieties of Boca and Morningstar products, a steak, some muffins and a couple of my Mom’s absolutely fantastic so good it will make you want to kiss her (or possibly slap her for bringing them into your home because you can't resist them unless you freeze them) Rocky Road cookies.

The husband is the fridge organizer. He can take something like that and make it ready for MTV’s Cribs. He’s promised to organize it for me today (don’t worry, I’ll take pictures!) and I promised to stop stockpiling everything as if the Armageddon is expected next week.

So I’m calling it operation freezer. It will force me to get creative in the kitchen and save us some money. I can’t wait to see what I can cook up! The main portion of my dinners at least 3 nights a week must come from the freezer. I’m going to try and take the Boca patty options for lunches a few times a week until they are gone as well.

For dinner tonight I have some Hebrew International Hot Dogs thawing out (they are only 1 WW Point a piece! I got them on sale for $3!) that I will grill on the foreman and I made a bean salad last night (it tastes best when it marinates overnight) to serve with it.

Food Operation Freezer 003 Food Operation Freezer 001

Since you all are dying to know, here is my recipe for my

Cannellini Beanie Salad (sounds like I’ve had it forever huh? I generally make it up as I go along and what I have on hand, here’s this version!)

1 can Cannellini (white kidney) beans drained and rinsed

1/2 small onion chopped finely

1/2 red pepper chopped finely

1/4 container of grape tomatoes quartered

4 marinated artichoke hearts chopped

1/4 cup Zesty Fat Free Italian dressing

Salt, Pepper, Garlic & Onion powders to taste

Mix all the above ingredients together in a bowl, cover and leave to refrigerate (at least) overnight.

Viola! A fast, easy, yummy bean salad! Kidney beans (any type) are very low in weight watcher points. You can 1/2 of a cup for a single point!

Ok, so, what does your stockpile look like? Are you up for a challenge? Maybe we all should try and fix our food stockpiles!

3 comments:

Unknown on January 14, 2010 at 4:04 PM said...

*sigh* I have freezer envy. lol I have the worlds smallest fridge/freezer. When we finally get our own home Im gonna get a BIG one for the garage and become addicted to large amounts of freezable stuff. lol

Tracy on January 14, 2010 at 4:09 PM said...

I don't venture in the freezer attached to the fridge, that is the husband area. My chest freezer is pretty darn straight, at least at last check.

Tish on January 23, 2010 at 10:20 AM said...

What a great idea! That could easily be a picture of my freezer! I was in there yesterday and discovered that DH must have spilled his Costco blueberries, because my entire freezer has a generous sprinkling of frozen blueberries.

My own freezer has a lot that will go directly in the trash. You know, half a cup of frozen shriveled peas left over from Thanksgiving dinner two years ago in an inadequate fold over sandwich bag . You've inspired me to tackle it one shelf at a time. We'll see.
Tish

Post a Comment

 

Site Info

The Unlikely Success Story is lived, written and maintained by Tonyne.