Tuesday, October 20, 2009

No more excuses!

Today is the day I stop making excuses. I have been full of them lately for everything imaginable. My house is a mess, I haven't been eating well, I haven't been working out like I should, I can't tell you the last time I took the dog for a walk, I have been drinking like a fish and not sleeping well. Here are some of my excuses:

"I'm not feeling well."

Maybe because you ate yourself into a food coma, or drank yourself into an oblivion?

"I'm under a lot of stress at work."

You're only stressed because you're letting it stress you out.

"I miss my family in Greensboro."

You always miss your family, you'll see them next month...this is not new.

"It's my husband's birthday, so I have to celebrate!"

Yes, but when it's his birthday and he's driving you home...you celebrated too much.

"I ran yesterday, I probably shouldn't push my knees."

You only ran two miles yesterday, your knees can take a little more. You used to run everyday.


Well, today is the day I am done making excuses. I am going to set some goals for myself, right now:

1. I am only going to allow myself to have alcoholic beverages once a week (in moderation...probably on football Sundays) from now until Thanksgiving.

Reasoning: I have been drinking too much lately...way too much. Alcohol is not a coping mechanism, I need to stop treating it as such. I also need to be focusing on finishing my first 5k and keeping myself motivated to run while being hungover several days a week has not been working.

2. I am going to run a minimum of 3 times weekly from now until Thanksgiving. No excuses. If I can't run, I will walk and at least 2 times weekly I will do Yoga or weight training, something else that will keep me active.

3. I am going to make at least 1 new recipe weekly.

4. I am going to lose 6lbs (from Friday's weigh in on 10/23) by Thanksgiving. (and, I'm going to stop skipping weigh ins!)

Ok, 4 attainable goals. I can do this.

From Merriam-Webster, this is the definition of excuse:

1 a : to make apology for b : to try to remove blame from

Well, I'm done making apologies for neglecting myself and I take full responsibility for letting myself backslide.

I'm finished with excuses. Today is a new day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Site Info

The Unlikely Success Story is lived, written and maintained by Tonyne.