Wednesday, October 28, 2009

I am taking care of my body, and it will take care of me.

"I am taking care of my body, and it will take care of me." That was my positive affirmation for the day. I think yesterday was a good example of that! Yesterday I had a most productive and OP day. I have to say, I'm pretty proud of myself. After work, I went for a run...



My best run outdoors yet! Of course the entire first 1.5miles I had a stitch in my side the size of Texas, but I worked through it. I am on track with my 5k training schedule, but I forgot to take a picture of it this morning. Oops!

For dinner I tried 2 new recipes, both were amazing! If you don't make these for dinner soon you're just crazy. I started with Roni's Stuff Pork with Butternut Squash and Apples, I didn't have Bulgar, so I substituted whole wheat couscous and it worked GREAT! Make extra stuffing though, because you'll want it, it's tasty!

On the side, I found a recipe for Brussels Sprouts in Mustard Sauce and I love Brussels Sprouts. I added a little horseradish to the sauce and I chopped a little onion to go in there as well. This sauce is amazing. When you put the pork on the plate and it mixes with that sauce it's a wonderful combination too!

Yesterday at work I found a recipe for Pumpkin Apple Butter, it wasn't bad, but I wanted to do it my way. Here's how I reworked it...also, last night.

Pumpkin Apple Butter

Apples, 1 small raw, with skin
Water, 1/2 cup
Apples, 1 small raw, without skin
Pumpkin, 1 can
Pumpkin pie spice 1 tsp.
Sugars, brown 1/2 cup, loosely packed


Preparation

Combine 1 apple (cored and chopped) with skin on and 1/2 cup of water in blender and blend until liquefied.

Peel and core 2nd apple and then shred with a grater.

Combine apple "juice", shredded apple, 1 can of pumpkin, 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice, 1/2 cup packed brown sugar into a heavy duty saucepan, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and let simmer for 90 minutes until thickened.

1 serving is 2 Tablespoons. Serve on muffins, in oatmeal, in yogurt or on toast!

Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 months.

I've attached the Nutrition Data that I figured using www.nutritiondata.com. I have calculated 0 points per serving, however I am going to count a serving as 1 point because based upon your apple sizes and how loosely you pack your sugar it could waiver a bit. This morning I mixed some into my yogurt, so good!



While all of that was cooking away, I opened my first pomegranate. It was a little messy, not too bad, but totally worth it! Yummy!

By the time I finally stopped moving last night it was after 9pm! Oh yeah, and I did 2 loads of laundry! :) I love productive days.

2 comments:

Tracy on October 28, 2009 at 7:00 PM said...

I love to read what you are cooking and eating! I am so proud of you for how well you are doing!

Trudy on November 18, 2009 at 2:29 PM said...

You are a huge motivation for me! I fell off the wagon for a bit due to some emotional issues, but I'm back on it. Thank you for sharing your stories.

Post a Comment

 

Site Info

The Unlikely Success Story is lived, written and maintained by Tonyne.