Friday, July 16, 2010

Watch me cook up some time!

 

This time of year, my every free moment is savored. I live for each one. It’s hard for me to sit down in front of a computer when that is what I do all day every very long summer day. However, this blog is important to me. You guys are important to me. I care about your stories, your comments, your blogs…all very much. I need to make time for this. This is why my Unlikely Success Story is exactly that. Without this blog and without the wonderful blogging community I’m pretty sure the name of this blog would be “Watch Tonyne Booze and Eat herself into coma” or something equally as lame. So, that being said, while I may not have the amount of time to spend here as I do Fall-Spring, I will do my best to set aside blog time during the week where I can write and read until my little heart is content. That way I can hopefully stay an Unlikely Success Story and maybe I can give you a few hints, tips or tricks on how you can become one too.

I made another trip to the library for another cookbook, oh a whim I IMG_1742got  Slow Cooker Favorites made Healthy by Better Homes and Gardens. I happen to  think that the crock pot is the most underused kitchen appliance I own. It’s ridiculous. I mean, really. Do basic prep work like chopping, etc. before bed, go to sleep, wake up, dump said stuff with some more stuff in crock pot, turn it on, have dinner ready when you get home.  This is yet another way I can make time. For blogging, for running, for whatever! Be on the lookout for an increase of crock pot recipes. I’m going to search the internets for recipes like Jacques Cousteau searched for sea life because honestly, who couldn’t use more time? Think about having an hour saved because dinner cooked itself? Why do we under utilize this genius crockery so much? Also, by using the crock pot I’m not heating up my house with the oven making the A/C work twice as hard. Always a bonus.

IMG_1744 I used the crock pot on Monday to make sesame chicken lettuce wrap.  Tonight, I made Lentil Taco Salad. A meatless wonder of a meal, chocked full of protein, vegetables and yumminess. Sorry to post a picture of the recipe, but my not retyping it…guess what I saved? TIME! :) If you click on it, it will get big and you can read it, I promise. I did take the time to punch the ingredients into WW Recipe builder to find out that if you serve this as 6 servings (that’s what I did, it says 8, but you know I like big portions) it’s 3 points per serving, without taco chips, sour cream, etc. Not bad at all! Tomorrow I plan to wrap it in a sandwich wrap like a burrito! Very tasty and all I had to do was chop and dump. Love it!

IMG_1750

Don’t be scared to try lentils if you haven’t before. They are a wonderful meat substitute or they go great with meat! You can cook them in stews or soups, make burgers with them, anything. They are so versatile. They are also very inexpensive and go a long way, saving you a buck or two! In a meal like tacos, they work great because they have a meaty texture and consistency. They hold flavor well too, so the chili powder and garlic really stand out.

What is your favorite slow cooker/crock pot recipe?

5 comments:

Tish on July 16, 2010 at 8:28 PM said...

Hands down, WW Osso Bucco. I confess tho, I don't usually use the CP in the summer. More into grilling.

Unknown on July 17, 2010 at 10:55 AM said...

oh! that cook book looks cool! I gotta see if my library has that!

Lentil taco salad looks delish! I'm going to my Mom & Dads and making turkey taco salad to get my Mexican food fix in! lol

Fit Chick in the City on July 18, 2010 at 2:15 PM said...

You are correct, it seems some people are scared to try lentils. They are actually pretty easy to deal with and are super tasty.

Snowbrush on July 18, 2010 at 9:30 PM said...

I could eat lentils--and other legumes--everyday, but my wife is not so fond of them. I'm the cook around here though, so I guess I could try forcing them on her--ha.

Beata A. on July 19, 2010 at 5:28 PM said...

Ah! I love my crock pot, even though I only used it once last year. Definitely looking forward to more crock pot recipes. Might have to go out and get my own copy of the book...

Post a Comment

 

Site Info

The Unlikely Success Story is lived, written and maintained by Tonyne.